7 1/2 week old buckling has liquid diarrea. HELP

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Shykid Acres, May 1, 2008.

1. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

Should I give probios and BoSe? I also have pen.

I don't have anything else at this point.

Two possible causes. DH brought home 2% milk instead of whole milk. Started all three kids on that yesterday. The other two are fine this morning.

The other cause.... My lactating doe has been empty of milk for a day and a half. I had the strong suspicion that this non-related bottle buckling was stealing her milk. This morning he has runs and she has lots of milk for me. ???

This buckling (Bubba) drank his morning bottle with the same vigor as always and then began to eat the grain/alfalfa pellets/BOSS/calf manna mix as usual. He does not act off.

:help

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

withhold his feed amounts and have you been using cocci prevention??

3. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

Withhold the grain mix or the milk? He got cocci prevention before he came. Could it be cocci? :( I forgot to mention that I top dressed the grain mix with a pellet wormer a couple of days ago. He does have access to free choice mineral.

Right now I only have the one goat yard...so everyone is sharing the grain mix. We are in the process of building another yard and a small barn. How can I keep him from the grain?

Would probios at this point help? I don't want it to do more harm. I've never used it before.

4. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

Cocci prevention/treatment in an ongoing thing, not a one time deal. My concern would be cocci especially since all of your goats of all ages are sharing a pen. Also, quit feeding the kids 2% milk and get them back on whole milk or pasteurized goat milk now.

Sara

5. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

Thank you Sara. Will start Cocci prevention right away and whole milk. Should I use prevention with Bubba or Treatment? Or should I wait and see if the probios works first?

6. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

I would treat him and your other kids. Do you have Corid?

Sara

7. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

I just gave him Probios. I also have CMPK and BoSe. I'm grasping at staws here. My mind is gone and I can't remember anything. His runs are liquid. VERY worried. His temp is 102.2
    After giving probios and taking temp I put him back in the yard. He went straight for the grain again. :(

No. But I can get it.

8. kidsngarden

kidsngarden New Member

We have had limited space to isolate an animal before and we built a simple A frame shelter, put a solid pallet underneath with some bedding and put up T-post and some spare fencing or cattle panels. It works in a pinch especially for kids. there is no way to keep him from the grain unless you take him out.

9. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

Thank you for the idea Bethany. Great help.

10. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

I'll be weaning him at 8 weeks. That is this sunday. Should I wean him now? (Thurs) ??? He is eating solids like a pro. No problem.

11. Rose

Rose New Member

Isn't 8 weeks a bit young for weaning?

12. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

I thought the same thing.

Sara

13. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

8 weeks is young to wean, but I've done it and I know several others who do as well. They do better if on milk for 12-16 weeks though...learned that the hard way.

I also would be thinking coccidia. I would use the treatment dose and then keep him on prevention. You would be best off seperating your kids from your adults if possible.

Probios won't hurt but probably won't fix the problem. If he's still eating good, then it's probably not indigestion/acidosis.

14. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Get him off the grain for now till he is back to normal. alfalfa pellets are fine and treat him for cocci along with your other kids. cocci meds are corid or demethox 40 % that work good. you should have treated him for cocci when he was moved also worm him.

15. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

I have worked all morning and fenced in a yard (temporary 6 line electric fence) for the yearling and her kid. I just gave baking soda and 1ml BoSe. I noticed he is now hunched up a bit and still has loose bowels. Not as loose but still quite a bit. He is eating hay right now, but now he seems a little tummy ache is bothering him or maybe his backend is sore from all the wet stuff.
    :(

Will be going to the store today. What if they don't have banamine? (For the pain) Will something else work?

Will try to pick up Corid today for sure.

16. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

Banamine is a prescription item available only from your vet. Have you secured a large animal vet for your herd yet?

Sara

17. Whitney

Whitney Member

Hunched up and tummy ache would make me consider entero.

18. Sondra

Sondra New Member

sounds like you need CD ANTITOXIN right now some Tractor supply carry it he could be going into entro. Don't give him cmpk and if you move him in with mom how are you going to keep grain away from him? Why is he on a bottle and mom both??

19. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

I think this is the buckling she bought ...could be wrong.

Patty

20. I think it is the buckling she purchased also.