4H question

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Beverrlly, Nov 20, 2007.

1. Beverrlly

Beverrlly New Member

Do dairy goats have to be registered to be 4H projects? I never did 4H as a kid.

2. I know that the participating 4-Her needs to be a member of ADGA if they are going to show dairy goats. Lindsey showed both does last year and only one was papered so I would assume not. Just that they are placed in the appropriate catagory when signing into events like doe goat milking 2 yrs and younger ect... I'm going out to one of the 4-H leaders tomorrow and will ask her more on this interesting subject :really Tammy.

3. wheytogosaanens

wheytogosaanens New Member

You should call your local extension office. If they can't tell you, have them direct you to a longtime dairy goat leader. It differs depending on the people running the show...pun intended. :biggrin

Spokane Interstate doesn't require papers for youth dairy goats, but the open show (ADGA) needs papers.

Camille

4. Dover Farms

Dover Farms New Member

I agree with Camille....you should check with your local extension office.

At our Co. Fair....dairy goats do not have to be registered to show.

5. Whitney

Whitney New Member

Registration papers are not required at our county fair.

It varies from county to county and state to state so check with the people in charge of your group.

6. prairiecomforts

prairiecomforts New Member

Every area is different in their reguirements. Here we have a growing goat show. We actually had 42 goats total in the 4H show! And I would say less than a third of the them were registered. I have never heard of a 4H member being reguired to be a ADGA member in order to show dairy goats. But like I said - every area is different. Check with your local county extension.

7. Thermopkt

Thermopkt New Member

Our area is so goat poor that they don't even have to be purebred. Our goat 4-H club has one member, so they would love ANYTHING to join.

8. Agape Oaks

Agape Oaks New Member

My area is so suburban that there's no one doing dairy goats. My son would love to do 4-H but when he was a member there were only kids doing horses or a few with market goats.

9. KJFarm

KJFarm Senior Member

Since the Boers have become so popular, and there's money to be made at the County Fair sales, the dairy goat numbers have gone way, way down. About 20 years ago, I was asked by the Extention office in Denton County, to come and do a workshop to try and create interest in dairy goats. Had a great turn out and lots of interest, but Denton County still only has Boers at their county shows. We were living in that county at the time, and because there were no dairy goats, we drove our children about 45 minutes away, to Wise County, to be members of a 4-H club, which had lots of dairy goats and still does. The fair here is Wise County does not require registered animals, but I always encourage folks to purchase registered animals anyway. Some of these kids who start out at the county fair level, will stay with it and one day want to show at a sanctioned show! I certainly would check with your county to find out what is required, before you purchase any animals.

10. Beverrlly

Beverrlly New Member

Thanks! I'll try to find our local 4H and ask! I don't have any (human) kids but i do have an unregistered doeling who is purebred but I don't have papers for. I thought maybe a 4H-er might want her for cheap just so I don't have to feed her all winter.

11. KJFarm

KJFarm Senior Member

Around here, there are always Boer goat breeders looking for dairy goats, to help raise multiples or orphans. I've had a couple of calls recently. One of them was wanting some of my spotted Nubians to breed to their Boer bucks to try and get some paint Boers wethers. Just had a Veterinarian/Boer goat breeder buy a FF Alpine from me to raise kids. He paid a heftly chunk of change for her and is pleased a punch with her. You probably could get more for her selling her bred or in milk. Good luck finding her a home.

12. ecftoggs

ecftoggs New Member

In our county and state they do not need to be registered. But they do need to follow the state's scrapie rules in order to be allowed to show. This means they must either have registration tattoos or a scrapie tag to meet exhibition requirements. We have had 4-Hers puchase LM's unregistered, then realized they needed ID to show. Not all extension offices are up on the subject and 4-Hers in our area have all gotten different answers to this question (not all of them correct). Your vet is another source of info on this topic.
    Tim