4 weeks (the count down begins)

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Oregonian Chick, Dec 31, 2007.

1. Oregonian Chick

Oregonian Chick New Member

I am giving my first CDT shot tomorrow and I started graining tonight :groan. LOL and so it begins....My nice quiet rest will soon end in just 4 short weeks (or less depending on if the doe goes early). Anybody else getting close?

Justine

2. Ravens Haven

Ravens Haven New Member

same here...but I am just finishing up this year's milkers..and in 4 weeks they start coming back in, yeah me..I hope these few does will soon dry off so I can have at least a week or two to rest or soap who knows...

Autumn

3. Tracy in Idaho

Tracy in Idaho New Member

Yep, I hit 4 weeks on Jan 4th. I am SO not ready to do this again :help

Every year I wonder why I do this to myself :crazy

Tracy

4. Beverrlly

Beverrlly New Member

But once you see those beautiful babies---you know!

5. MiddleRiver

MiddleRiver New Member

Yep - i have a FF saanen doe bagging up - her due date is 1/31/08 i belive. Then my Alpines will start - i'm really excited :+)

6. Truly

Truly New Member

Well, I've got the one doe I thought was gonna go just b4 Christmas, that still hasn't kidded. Now I'm looking for a due date of 1/9 based on the last cycle the previous owner saw. I taped her at 195 heart girth yesterday. I'm sure I could not get the tape around her belly.

Then my oldest girl (almost three) appears to be farther along than I have her on the calendar. I show her due 4/1. She looks awful big for just two months along.

My breeding schedule was suppose to start me kidding in late March. Oh Well.

But I love those babies, so I'll live thru it.

7. DostThouHaveMilk

DostThouHaveMilk New Member

We had ten kids on the ground at last check (2 hours ago). The coming ten year old was due the 27th and there are three more due today that have not kidded. Another 21 due in January (maybe a couple more than that..maybe a couple less)....
    We are well on our way.....

8. Oregonian Chick

Tracy boy do I hear you loud and clear :rofl. I am not ready for kidding either...so much to do to get ready and so little time it feels like.

I have more kidding out than I planned due to the fact that I decided to freshen out the 07 kids anyways. So I am kidding 9 does out from Jan 30th-Feb 18th. Then we have one doe due April 14th and one doe due May 6th. Yearlings are next starting with three on May 21st, one on May 24th, two on May 25th, and one on May 29th :groan. Boy oh boy will I have my hands full. I am counting my blessings though as having the bulk in February and then the bulk rest in May gives me time to get rid of all the February kids I am selling off.

Gosh Roseanna how do you do it? I know I couldn't start this early..it would kill me (but then again I work retail besides the goats so that doesn't help during christmas time :tearhair).

Justine

9. Oregonian Chick

Lord help us....Brandy is 60" at the belly girth right now and still growing! She is the one who is due in 4 weeks. Last time she was about 63" at around her due date and she ended up with three 8lb kids. I am thinking this time she has got quads in her. I know her belly is going to get bigger as she gets closer to her due date. Methinks I will start feeding her so she doesn't have to jump on the milkstand as I know it is hard for her right now to jump.

Justine

10. Tracy in Idaho

Tracy in Idaho New Member

I have 24 does due stretching from the beginning of February all the way through the middle of March. UGH. That makes it a lot worse for me -- trying to find room for all the different sizes of kids.....but on the other hand, maybe I can get them culled/sold out faster.

Tracy

11. Karen Bailey

Karen Bailey New Member

I decided that watching for does to kid in breezy, cold February was not fun last year, so I waited to breed them until October. They were all ready, and I now have 4 does due on my Birthday (March 9th), 1 the day before, and 1 a few days later, then 2 more a week later. Wanna bet 6 of them will go on the same day?! :laughcry My DH usually takes me out to eat for my birthday, but I think I'll be celebrating in the barn with iodine and birthing goo smeared all over me this year. :/ :rofl

Karen