4 week old new doeling not taking bottle- o/w totally ok-- what's up?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by susie, May 18, 2008.

1. susie

susie New Member

I brought home 3 Boer doelings last thursday they are 4 weeks old now. The youngest ( and biggest) doeling will not take a bottle. She lets me put the nipple in her mouth but won't suck, doesn't act like she even wants it. I put milk in a pail tried all kinds of nipples, etc. I gave her Bo-se and vit b probiotics -- she's not dehydrated ,peeing and pooping great... eating alfalfa pellets and hay just today I added a little Calf manna. She eats grass really well when I put them out and drinks water just fine out of a little bucket.

The other two are really aggressive milk drinkers I made a Lambar and they go to town with it. They 're pretty playful, the younger one is curious but not yet playing.
    What's up with the one?? Will she be ok without milk? Should I be trying something else or supplementing with something besides whay I'm giving-- oh yeah they have minerals too that they're all eating well.
    the gal I got them from said she preferred a Pritchard nipple , but that she would take a bottle... I can't get her to take any nipple willingly.

They were on GM before and are still on GM here.

I'm not very experienced at bottle feeding so I don't know if this is really weird or not.

thanks,
    Susie

2. lyceum

lyceum Guest

Were they dam raised? We have taken Boer kids from breeders that have had does die or does not want to take kids. If they have nursed at all, they do not want to take a bottle. We had one that we got a few weeks ago about 4 weeks old too. She fought us for 4-5 days and then all of a sudden took to the bottle like she had been eating it all along. Now she is a little pig.

Carisa

3. susie

susie New Member

They were dam raised then switched to bottles .
    I'm going to keep trying with the bottle and repeat the Vit b and Bo-se with an e capsule. Her penmates are being goofy goaty girls, while this one seems kind of depressed today.

Thanks,

Susie

4. Ashley

Ashley Active Member

Just keep the bottle in her mouth for a while. Squirt a little out in her mouth and stroke her under her chin may encourage her to swallow. You just have to stick with it, doing it each day at each meal time. Suddenly they will figure it out. At least, this has been my experience with other bottle fed animals, including deer, and a couple goats. :)

5. tjgoatgirl

tjgoatgirl New Member

I agree with all the experiences described above.........I've bottle fed 7 goats successfully who were all switched from Mom Milk to plain old Goat Replacer milk by Manna Pro.....Ive since learned that if goat milk is not available, that grocery store whole pasteurized cow's milk is preferable to replacers.

Of the seven goats the last set of Nigerians in particular took the longest to "take" the bottle...........a small darling 4-week old, blue-eyed buckling refused for a week! while his 1/2 sister (also precious but stubborn) refused for 2 days and on the p.m. feeding of day 2 agreed that the bottle was better than nothing.

The buckling, however, had me really scared..........He was SO stubborn, withdrawn and unfriendly........I was considering taking him back to his mama...but the vet said if he was eating hay/grain and drinking water, he'd be okay........so I just kept offering (well forcing) the bottle into his little mouth each feeding and showing him his sister chugging it down, and on day 7.....he just magically began sucking, and has been my friend forever since!

While I waited for him to become cooperative, I gave him 5 ml's probios each day, and Goat Omega-3 High Calorie Liquid Drench by Durvet (1 Pump into a syringe) and then into his mouth (smells like frosting) once a day. I could hardly refrain from taking a pump into my own mouth each time I gave it to him it smelled so yummy! He, however, having never tasted frosting, did not see/taste the similarities and was less impressed!

But he lived, and eventually he drank..........and now he's nine weeks old, and I need to wean him and he and his sister cry cry cry for the bottle!

Good luck, and just keep trying!

6. Sondra

Sondra New Member

also rub her butt. which trying to get her to take the bottle However will say I had one that I never could get to latch on to a bottle as had been on mom she was 4 wks old and eating well and drinking water so finally gave up you can top dress their feed with some calf manna and or some pd milk replacer if you think she needs it.

7. susie

susie New Member

Yep, tried that Sondra! My neighbor has a dog that'll lick the baby goats butts, and she said that dog can get any animal to nurse-- so she tried with no success.
    I just put them out on some nice grass and she went to town, put them all back in their pen and gave the other 2 their lambar and tried with the third, to no avail. put her in the pen and she just started chewing her cud. ...

That's good to know that if she doesn't take the bottle it should be ok.

Susie
    Susie

8. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I used to run to 3 different auction places around us back in the mid 80's and purchase anything with an umbilical cord. I would put the purchases in a stall with shavings. No water, no hay, no nothing. They stayed in there and graduated out of that pen only when on the lambar. It was always a test of wills, but when given the choice of warm goats milk or air, they would eventually choose the drink off the bottle. Milk is so important for them to be on at that age, that starving them into submissions was so that important. I would take away everything else until she decides the bottle is her best friend. You will end up with a smaller, stunted kid unless you get milk into her. vicki

9. susie

susie New Member

I wondered about doing it that way Vicki. It's been so hot ( from 50 degress to 95 in a matter of two days) that I really don't want to submit her to the stress of it.. but as the weather cools I may... I know milk is important, thus my concern.

Thanks,
    Susie

10. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Would think now is the time to do it Susie she will be thirsty also so being hot outside would make a room temp lambar seem pretty darn good.