4 week old kids weighed today...But...

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Shykid Acres, Apr 13, 2008.

1. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

I got my 3 kids home last night that I had reserved. The buckling and one doeling were born 3-9-08. The other doeling was born 3-11-08. They are Alpines. How much should they weigh at this age? They are definitely not fat but they are HUGE for their age! At least I thought so. I have no idea. Here are their weights:

Buckling "Bubba" 30.1 lbs (He was approx 10lb at birth, a guess by owner)
    Doeling 1 "Kala" 24.3 lbs
    Doeling 2 "Rissa" 22.1 lbs

I don't think there will be any problem come November for breeding the does. What do you think though...big for their age or right on tract?
    My 5 day old buckling was also weighed. He was born 7.9 lbs and this afternoon is 9.9 lbs. He is Alpine/Nigerian. Looks all alpine though. *shrug* Is his weight good?

2. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

If they are gaining 10 pounds a month they are doing good.

Keep up with wormings and coccidia prevention and you should be fine.

Patty

3. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

By that assumption Bubba has gained about 20 lbs in 1 month and just drank down OVER a liter of milk a few minutes ago at their evening feeding. Yicks! Is this normal? That is my question or am I going to have larger than average-sized alpines?

4. goatkid

goatkid New Member

It's great that your kids are growing so well. Alpines sometimes do seem to grow pretty fast when they are well fed. I'm sure they will resemble their parents in stature when they are full grown. I'd be more concerned about a goat that is stunted rather than one the is growthy for it's age. I haven't weighed my bottle babies yet, but they are growing and heavier to carry. I lifted one of my oldest dam raised Nubian kids the other day who is about the same age as yours and I'm pretty sure she's as heavy as yours. Kathie

5. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

Thanks Kathie. That is nice to know. Update on their feeding. I tried something new today at the evening feeding. (Just got the kids last night so still don't have a solid routine down yet.) I filled 3 of my 2liter pop bottles about half way with their milk mix just to see how much each would drink until fullness set in. The buckling "Bubba", drank the whole 1 liter of milk and then about 1/8 to 1/4 of one of the doeling's when they were done with it. The doeling drank about 3/4 liter and the other just over 1/2 I think...if my eyes are seeing it right. They sure can put it away can't they? :lol

And thankyou Patty for your input too. :)

6. Pairaka

Pairaka Guest

I would suggest getting a scale to compare to the weigh tape, too. I never seemed to get very accurate weights on kids with a tape. But yours might be old enough that the tape will give you good estimates.

Also, remember, that males grow faster than the females. :D This is especially true if the little bugger was bigger at birth. They just take off like a rocket.

BTW, I love your sigline. :D

7. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

Wendy- I could not find my weight tape so I put my digital bathroom scale out on the porch and carried the kids one at a time and stepped on. Then subtracted my weight from each. I was glad for the accuracy of it verses whatever the tape might have read too. I guess I did not know that males grow faster. That makes sense I suppose and thankyou for your praise of my signature line. :)

8. Pairaka

Pairaka Guest

Oops! Sorry! I must have read another thread on weigh tapes and thought that you said you used a weigh tape! :blush2

Are you keeping the buckling for a buck? Because the way he's growing, he's going to be a huge guy! :D

And goats do dance!

9. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

Wendy-I might have posted something somewhere else earlier that mentioned getting my weight tape out. Couldn't find it though. No need to be sorry. And yes goats really do dance! It is so fun to see. Yes I am keeping the buckling for a buck. He will be my herd sire. Counting the six goats in his direct lineage.... (SIRE,DAM, SIRE'S SIRE, SIRE'S DAM...ETC) ....There is one SG and two SGCH, one CH and one needing last leg for CH status. I am very pleased with him. Yippee! The two SGCH are his Sire's dam and his dam's dam. The SG is his sire's sire and the CH is his dam's sire. The one needing the last leg for CH is his dam.

I just had to brag a little...sorry. :D

10. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I filled 3 of my 2liter pop bottles about half way with their milk mix

OK you are freakin me out, what milk mix????? Also don't go experimenting with too much milk unless the previous owner was free feeding milk also. Vicki

11. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

Vicki- The previous owner was free feeding. :) The milk mix is a mix of goat milk, a tiny bit of cow milk...cause I don't have a lot of the goat stuff left.... and a little bit of water as the previous owner had said that she had started putting water in with their feeding before they came to me. Sorry to freak you. Hope this makes more sense now.

12. Halo-M Nubians

Halo-M Nubians New Member

My 7 week old nubian doelings are 35-40 lbs. They are on the lambar and I only put in a quart per kid twice a day and they grow like crazy! Of course we have nice high butterfat..They are also eating the free choice meat goat pellet really well, and alfalfa.

13. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

I have 3parts Alfalfa pellets, 1part 16% grain, 1/2part boss and top dressed with calfmanna and free choice grass hay set out for them as well as water. They seem to be eating that too. Whatever they don't eat my Nigerian Doe helps out.

14. Sondra

Sondra New Member

they are drinking so much because your adding water. It isn't filling them up with any fat. Also doens't help with the cuddling aspect.

15. homeacremom

homeacremom New Member

I thought it was just my lines, maybe it is Alpine in general. My 5-6 week kids have gained 20- 30 lbs. That's even only 20 oz. milk 3x a day not free choice milk.

16. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

I have 7 Alpine kids born 2/17/08..they are bigger than yours. I have 3 born 3/5/08...they are smaller. My new herdsire DOB 3/15/08 is about the same size. Not accurate weights but when I pick them up they are HEAVY! So I think you don't need to worry.

17. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

This morning I filled it to 1 liter with goat and cow milk and then about an inch past that with water. All three finished their bottles and two were looking for more. Yicks! After I put the empty bottles away they turned to the hay I had set in for them and they began to eat that.

Should I cut back on their milk intake, give that amount twice a day or give them more? I want them to be healthy with good rumens. Please assist. I don't want them to go hungry. :)

Glad to know mine aren't the only big ones out their. Makes me feel much better that they are just doing well. Thanks everyone for your input in this. It helps.

18. Sondra

Sondra New Member

At four weeks old mine get 20 oz bottles 4 times a day.

19. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

Thank you Sondra. ...Thank you everyone!