3 month old super healthy, growthy doeling with an occasional raspy cough

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by paulaswrld, Jul 2, 2008.

1. paulaswrld

paulaswrld New Member

To treat or not to treat?? That is the question... She is eating, nursing, playing but has a raspy couph....I would call it a productive couph if it was one of my 2 legged kids....do you all know what I mean? I was out with the girls for about an hour today and she had 2 slight couphing spells, and one other kid had one. I know that the new alfalfa hay is making the older girls sneeze a bit when there heads are buried in it :lol No fever, no runny nose.
    It has been really dry here, and my personal allergies are horrible. I just don't want to start sticking a kid with antibiotics if I don't need to...but, I would not want to lose her iether....especially since she earned her dry leg last weekend.. :D

Thanks,

Paula

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I don't treat anything. I always wait and watch unless it's a fever. Alot of time kids have a heck of time cudding for several weeks. They cough and sputter, especially when running in from out in the browse, I think they get so full they bring up food instead of cud material. Goats get runny noses, goat sneeze...as often as I grab meds for myself for anything like that is as often as I do for my goats....a blue moon. I would watch her, do alot of ear feeling, you can feel fever.

I might run a fecal just on her, and perhaps give her some probiotics, and kefir for her rumen. Maybe even an expectorant if the cough really bothered me. Vicki

3. paulaswrld

paulaswrld New Member

Glad I seem to be able to spell COUPH..LOL...cough...yes, I know I am just tired..ANYHOO, what expectorant do youall recommend?

Thanks always,

Paula

4. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I just use Robitussin people dosed just like I do with benedryl...in kid I keep a liquid for kids, adults for bigger goats. Just give it every couple of hours instead. Vicki