Dairy Goat Info Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've had to work with the doe and her 2 kids for all to learn how to feed and be fed. The buckling seems to have gotten the hang of things now. The doeling has been managing (with help) to nurse well enough to be energetic, until this afternoon. Today we've had triple-digit temps, and found her sleeping in the direct sun, not sure for how long. The poor thing was panting and lethargic, and didn't try very hard to nurse. I tried to get something in her with a bottle (first time for that), and she got a little, but not very much.

I ended up bringing her into the house, where it's only 85, at least until she could cool down a little, which she has. It's still hard to get her to drink from the bottle, but she seemed a little perkier, pooped a little, and starting "talking" a couple of times. So I tried taking her back out to the field with the other goats. She did pee a decent amount after being back in the field. The doe was glad to see her kid, but didn't want to stand still to let them both feed. And the little girl just didn't try very hard, as if she still isn't interested. This is after maybe 4 hours or so in the house. But after a very short time she was looking listless and limp again, and I couldn't leave her out there in the heat, though it is beginning to cool down.

How do we get her rehydrated and interested in her surroundings again? Any and all suggestions will be appreciated. TIA

·
Premium Member
3,402 Posts
If she was my doeling, I'd be bottle feeding her. I would also have her in the house for a week or so, to make sure that she's thoroughly recovered. Heat injuries will kill very quickly. Basically, I would want her eating well and as energetic as any other little goat, for her to be out there with the rest of them. If she won't take much from a bottle, you can tube feed her (there are directions on here somewhere that you should be able to find with a search), or just give her a bottle more frequently if she sucks fairly well but seems to tire to quickly to take much at one time. I would also give her a 1/4 cc injection of Bo-Se (which you have to get from a vet) subQ.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts