3 Day old baby

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by J-Basqo, May 23, 2008.

1. J-Basqo

J-Basqo New Member

So I was searching the archives and I didnt have to has a repeat subject but I just couldnt quite find what I needed.
    I have a doeling that was born Monday at 11pm, she was the result of a luted birth (on the does due date calculated @150days from breeding), she was the 2nd born of twins and is *maybe* a little more that half the size of her sister (I didnt weigh her however). They had their colostrum and Bo-Se. Baby was fine and ate really good the first night but tuesday she has just a little bit of a rattle (really rattly when feeding, but just pops now and then the rest of the time and I can only tell when I am holding her,its not like I can hear it across the room), does not wheeze and only coughs when I am trying to feed her (acts like the chin up trying to swallow makes it hard to breath), she doesnt cough but rarely (during feeding like stated above..), but it sounds very "wet" on the occasion she does cough, has small ammt of mucus on her nose at times(if she didnt have a rattle I would say it was normal discharge though), she at her colostrum really good, and ate tuesday AM but hasnt cared to eat more than a few sucks since then (I tube fed her this AM and PM so she doesnt get too far behind). She runs around and acts just dandy (has since birth, was the first one up and the first one to eat, she's got a little tude!) temp is 102.9. Whatta think?? If it was one I was just keeping I would just watch her and let her get better on her own or treat if she gets worse but I already have a deposit on her.. So my situation is I dont want her to develop more serious problems, lose to much growth or be sickly/more susceptible her whole life etc so I wanted to know what you thought I should do? Leave her? Preventative treatment (if so what)?? I just want to catch it before it is a problem since it involves my herd rep now! :). Oh ya! The sister is doing GREAT! Eating and everything but has green eye discharge??...
    Thanks!
    Patina

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Give her mouth a really good look see inside with a flashlight. She will scream bloody murder but have someone hold her, pry her mouth open and look. Check to make sure she has a complete palette and everything looks normal.

Continue giving her daily bo-se for awhile, and give her vitamin E orally. Some small kids have received bo-se daily for a week to keep them nursing well, with no problems to their health. Vicki

I put rattly kids on antibiotics. Usually one shot is all it takes, I will also use a small amount of Dex on small kids with breathing problems.

3. J-Basqo

J-Basqo New Member

What antibiotic do you recommend and dosage? And Dex is 1cc per 50lb?? The sister has green snot and sounds a little congested this am too so I think I will do both. I will give them both more Bose too. I gave them 1ml @ birth, should I use that dose or reduce it?
    Thanks
    Patina

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

how much does this kid weigh 1/4 to 1/2 cc daily of Bose is what I would do. plus a Vit E capsul 400iu just squirt in mouth.

5. goatkid

goatkid New Member

I had a rattly kid and two others with snotty noses and runny eyes this year. I used Nuflor and they cleared right up. I gave 1/2cc subQ. Your doeling may need less if she's really tiny. Kathie