3/8 tattoo pliers

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Halo-M Nubians, Mar 15, 2008.

1. Halo-M Nubians

Halo-M Nubians New Member

I have the Stone 3/8 " tattoo pliers that are supposed to hold 4 digits. I ordered it as a set with the alphabet (which does say it is 3/8th") and I cannot get 4 digits to fit properly. I have managed to cram them in...my herd tattoo is 4 letters so I really need it to work. Last kid I did they all popped out and went flying and it broke one of the tabs off a letter! So I was wondering if anyone knows if the 5/16" letters will fit in these pliers. Then I'd just order the letters I need. Or I was thinking of just getting the smaller set of pliers so I could keep my herd tattoo in there all the time. The 5/16 says it will hold up to 5 digits so I thought that would be safe. Do ya'll think 5/16 is too small for nubian ears? Its really starting to annoy me!

2. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

I've always used the 5/16 size on Nubian ears. Works great here.

Sara

3. Halo-M Nubians

Halo-M Nubians New Member

Okay, Jeffers here I come!

4. Belle

Belle New Member

I use the 5/16" too and I like it. The only thing I can say is to get the one with out the ear release!

5. susie

susie New Member

My pliers hold 4- 3/8 inch tattoos -- but thehead revolves so I can keep my herd name in all the time-- ???

what's the trouble with the ear release?
    I've only tattoed one but didn't have any issues.

Susie

6. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

I don't think the ear release does any good at all. I take an old rubber tan nipple and cut it in half and scrub it and pop my herd tatoo into the pliers and tatoo the nipple and pull the tatoo letters all the way through so that its jammed all the way on. then as I'm switching kids I alcohol tat the Y 2 and pop back in the C### and tatoo, it keeps those four letters together and helps get it Not too deep in the ear.

7. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

If you don't get it all the way through the ear, scrub well with green paste, you aren't going to have tattoo's left on your does in 5 or 10 years. The whole inking the site before which does nothing but ruin your digits and a make a mess of your pliers, and the ear release which means the digits only go to the plate and not through the ear, is only making your tattoos not last. Another old timers trick is to take off the new shrap point with sand paper, this gives you wider holes also. I know it comes with roll on ink, but if you use green paste, you won't ever have to redo tattoos or have to use flashlights even in black ears. Vicki