2yo FF - hard udder

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by paulaswrld, Jun 17, 2008.

1. paulaswrld

paulaswrld New Member

Okay....2 yo FF - freshened 5/12 1 doeling and 1 buckling - She is a beauty of a doe (Emma on my website) and has hands down the nicest udder in the barn in overall shape, teat placement, height..etc...but, it is very hard and lumpy. No signs of mastitis, and she is Dam raising and they are growing out great. I have been massaging her every day with Udder Balm...anything else I should do? How fast can I get rid of this?

Thanks,

Paula

2. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

Has she been tested for CAE?

Sara

3. paulaswrld

paulaswrld New Member

Yes, negative last year and this year.

4. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Negative on blood on Elissa?

A congested udder or udder edema would be winding down by 4 weeks out like she is, and would not be lumpy. It's simply a very firm udder that pits when you press your finger into it, that takes a good 3 weeks until all of a sudden it is less firm and is milking like it should.

I would be concerned if it was lumpy, I would test the milk. I would also stop the udder balm or you are going to grow staph on the skin of the udder. I would mix up the brace, Kaye has it on goatkeeping 101, and massage with that.

Someone this year gave me some people quality DMSO with Dexamethazone in it. I was supposed to use it on something else, but instead I used it on a congested udder. Now the doe was already week two and softening, but dang...it softened quickly with the use of this. I was talking to my vet about some other stuff we were talking about on the forum and told her about this salve. She said why not just add some Dex to the brace and use it. So next spring I am going to put it together in a tiny spray bottle, spray the clean udder and then with gloves massage after milking. Just watch nobody will come into a congested udder for me next spring :) Vicki

5. Tim Pruitt

Tim Pruitt New Member

Vicki,
    Can you add this suggestion to the "brace" in 101? This is a great hint.

Paula,
    First, a CAE Elisa test is in order here. CAE must be ruled out as this is a classic sign - but before you freak out, it can also be caused by other things, including your management. Feeding too much protein during pregnancy can cause this too. Make sure the kids are getting enough to eat - you might need to offer them a bottle each morning and night. Some claims peppermint oil works as a stimulant and helps remove congestion. As Vicki pointed out - the congestion should have gone down by now. Test her for mastitis.

6. paulaswrld

paulaswrld New Member

Thanks, PAVL did her CAE testing, I will check to see if it was Elissa. DMSO with Dexamethazone is this RX? My vet is actually coming over this morning for health certs and I can ask her for some if yes. I will not be letting her touch my goats other than health certs after that fiasco with Tamatrix...but, she is the only option around for certs.

What is the best test for Mastitis? Can anything p/u sub-clinical?

Thanks always,
    Paula

7. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Alot of folks will treat the doe for edema with Dex injected. And your vet I bet if they see horses makes Brace, it's a liniment for swelling. But you can purchase DMSO in jeffers or over the internet cheaper. Unless you have a good relationship with this vet she may balk at selling you Dex if you tell her you are using it on the udder???? No idea. Even me with a good long relationship with my vet, I only tell her basically what I am doing...if I am using something crazy off label I will lie, to get the meds and then use it like I want, only sharing with her and others when what I have chosen to do works...then I get the rolly eyes from her :)

Have you tested her before with PAVL? With them like biotracking now you can get a level...did it change from the last test? That is why I use PAVL for the results I can track. Yes they use Elissa. Maybe retest her now after the kidding this year.

Your vet will know what lab to use to send in a milk sample to test for mastitis, with this you will also want a sensitivity ran...but have them call you with the results why they run the sensitivity to see what drugs will work, so you can start dealing with it if it is mastitis. Vicki

8. paulaswrld

paulaswrld New Member

Thanks so much. No, I just switched to PAVL this year after heariing about it from you. I will send in another sample this week.

Thanks,
    Paula

9. Tim Pruitt

Tim Pruitt New Member

What about applying the dex/brace mixture or dex/dmso mixture to a doe's udder who has not given birth? Would the doe absorb enough to terminate pregnancy or affect the kids? It would be great be able to "head things off" by applying this to a doe before she kids.

10. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

Tim,
    I wouldn't think she would absorb enough to terminate the preg. You only apply a light coat and there's 6-10cc in the bottle.
    Kaye