2 new wethers with dry nasty coats

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by jaytori220, Jul 29, 2008.

1. jaytori220

jaytori220 New Member

I purchased 2 ND wether kids a week ago and they have really bad coats. The hair is very long, sunbleanched, and very dry. I did body clip them except for their legs and whats underneith seems healthy and shiny. Its just so hot and humid here...in the 90's with no breeze at all. So I felt bad for them and clipped them and they seem alot cooler. The breeder I bought them from doesnt feed anything with copper in it. She says that copper will kill a goat if overdosed so to be safe she just doesnt feed it :nooo. She just fed an all stock feed and coastal burmuda hay with a plain salt block. Although I did not agree with how she feeds her goats I just nodded my head and pretended like I was listening. I have them on a small amount of goat feed by Manna Pro, loose FC goat mineral, FC canadian T&A hay which is light on the alfalfa and mix it with coastal for now until its gone and keeping them on the T&A hay. Do you think that its probably the way she was feeding has made their coats so nasty? Is there anything I can feed to have and keep them nice and shiny? And how can I shed whats left so I dont have to bring out my clippers again? :/ TIA!

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Although I did not agree with how she feeds her goats I just nodded my head and pretended like I was listening.

You have learned well grasshopper :)

I would just shave them the rest of the way out. Not only was her not feeding minerals crazy but are they wormy? Also if they had bouts of cocci when they were young they will have icky coats for life.

I would go really easy on the grain, and make sure it contains ammonium chloride if you do feed it, most goat pellets for meat goats have it in them. Try to find one that has alfalfa meal as an ingredient also. Honestly with just good hay and some black oil sunflower seeds for fat, a handful a day they should be fine. Grain is not a friend to bucks especially wethers. Vicki

3. Feral Nature

Feral Nature Active Member

4. jaytori220

jaytori220 New Member

Thanks Vicki! The feed and minerals have ammonium chloride. They get 1/4 cup once daily. I was told that since they are growing I should give them some grain. But it would be up to me to continue with it once grown. So I may just keep them on the grain and just give them less once they get older....more like a morning treat. But not sure yet. I am not really sure if they had cocci. I do know that they are in good weight but the coats on all her goats were horrible. She did vaccinate with CD/T and boostered them and dewormed them and that was all done last month. She did their hooves while I was there although it didnt look like the kids were ever done. Although they were not too bad. Some of the does needed them done. I should probably just do what you said and break out the clippers and finish the clip job. The hair HAD to be an inch or so long. They looked like a sasquatch in a small body. What showed underneith looks to be shiny and healthy. Maybe now its just a matter of better diet and minerals and hopefully they will have a much nicer coat when it all comes back in.

5. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Your kids from this year also got as much colostrum as they wanted being dam raised. Kids can have cocci not do any damage as long as they can keep the numbers in check. Most cocci damage is when little kids get numbers of cocci higher than they can tolerate for long periods of time, or weaned kids, stressed from the weaning, the what is normal amount of cocci that they were fine with before weaning is now too much for their immunity to handle. Adult does also, are fine with cocci burdens, then they get sick from something, the cocci occysts suck more blood and with the immunity under attack from being sick the doe then also has diarrhea from cocci.

We have to ask ourselves in our herds...what stress has our kids been under? When dam raised and with mom likely very little stress and it's likely yours are kept in overgrowded conditions with your poperty. Your pictures always show your girls out grazing.

Small pens, adult poop, no freeze, now not even the best colostrum will keep kids like that from being stunted, small or scruffy. vicki

6. Feral Nature

Thanks Vicki, but my goats sleep in small pens and only graze and have their pics taken when i am out there. They are let out twice a day for an hour to an hour and a half. Long enough to browse and get full. They are then put back in a drylot.

The kids have a Pyr hole the use to go out and browse anytime they wish, like a creep feeder for browse.

The lots of colostrum from mom thing makes since and the lack of stress from "normal" feeding patterns.

7. Feral Nature

Oh, and we get more freezes than Houston does and we live in brutally hot dry sand that blisters your feet if barefooted so hard for paracites to live in.