2% milk

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Jo~*, May 17, 2008.

1. Jo~*

Jo~* New Member

Just wondering why you need to use whole milk and not 2%. I have acsess to lots of 2% (free)and I have used a little of it mixed in with the whole with no ill effects. Is it just that the 2% is lacking in fat, or are their other reasons not to use it?
    Thanks.

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

First they don't just skim off the cream to get 2% milk, hopefully nobody is feeding those types of things to their kids, like drinking decaffinated coffee, they get the caffine out with chemicals. OK, I digress. Not even saanens milk is only 2% fat :), in older kids 2% fat is fine because you could up the fat in their diet with grain. But 2% fat in an infants diet wouldn't be healthy.

With the milk free how about adding cream to it? Vicki

3. Rose

Rose New Member

What are you using it for? Feeding goat kids? or human kids? or you?

4. Chaty

Chaty New Member

2% will give them the trots really bad...I saw a post about it and I only give whole milk. If you do use it and half and half it it or something to bring the level back up to whole milk. It is better for them.
    Kathy

5. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

Just like Cathy said.....I see a lot of post where folks have went from whole milk to something less, and then in a day or 2 are wondering why their baby's have the runs. When advised to go back to whole milk, they usually come back the next day or so, and say all is getting better now that they went back to whole milk.
    I personally have my doubts that is has anything to do with less fat....but think that it has more to do with the lack of other things that are found in whole milk.

Whim

6. Sondra

Sondra New Member

yep sorry 2% is just not good on the ND and Mini's I even start them on half and half

7. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

I fed mine 2% for a day and a half, three feedings total, because that is what my DH brought home that time. Liquid runs was the result. I stopped feeding it on the 4th feeding and it cleared up. Go figure.

I don't know the "why" behind it but I can say from experience I will not feed just 2% milk again.

8. Jo~*

Jo~* New Member

Thanks everyone.
    I guess I better stop mixing the the 2% milk with the whole milk before I start having trouble, I did notice a little soft poop yesterday afternoon and I stoped adding 2% to the whole at that time.
    Ive had everything from cats and rabbits to horses and llamas but goats are a new one for me so I am really glad you guys are here to :help2.

9. Ashley

Ashley Active Member

Yea, goats are a new world huh?

10. wheytogosaanens

wheytogosaanens New Member

You must be talking about Saanens in Texas. Saanens from the Pacific Northwest kick _ _ _ . :)

Camille

11. tjgoatgirl

tjgoatgirl New Member

Kimberly, is DH "dumb husband?" Just curious. :p Tracy

12. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

:rofl I sure hope not! :lol I believe it is just a computer jargon for husband just as DS and DD are for son and daughter.

Good question though. I was actually copying what I saw other people writing. Thought it was it was just short hand. :)

Sorry for laughing. I would hate to think I've been calling my sweet and charming guy... dumb. Hee hee. We just got married 7 months ago. Wouldn't he like that? :lol

13. Ashley

Ashley Active Member

I think depending on the posters mood it can mean Dear or D*** . :)