2 day old doeling with bloody diarrhea

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by rg1950, Jan 4, 2009.

1. rg1950

rg1950 New Member

I had a Boer doe kid with two doelings. I had bred the Boer to my Nubian buck. I have been milking the mother out and feeding it back to the babies in a bottle. One doe is doing fine. She has the yellow tarry stool, but the other one has what looks like watery, bloody diarrhea with mucus in it. She is acting fine, eating fine, and getting around fine. Her stools just started looking wrong about 10am today. I have never had a newborn do this and I am concerned. If anyone knows what is causing this and what I need to do, please let me know. She is to young for it to be coccidia, so I am at a loss. These are the only Nubian (Boer/Nubian) mixes I will have this year and I want to take care of them. Thanks for your help. Tara

2. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

I'm at a loss as to what would cause a 2 day old to have bloody stool. Hopefully someone with more insight will come along with something to tell you.

3. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I would give her a baby supository. Sometimes not all of the meconium poop comes out, it hardens in the body and then when she strains to push it out the intestine bleeds. Hopefully this is all it is and you don't have ecoli starting. Vicki

4. rg1950

rg1950 New Member

Sorry I didn't update sooner. She only had this problem for about 4-5 hours that day and she is doing better with normal poops. She's eating great and jumping, running and playing like her sister. I didn't give her anything, and it passed by itself. It was just scary because I had never had that happen with all the goats we have had that kidded, so I wasn't sure what would cause it. Thanks for the response Vicki.
    Tara Green

5. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

:whew I'm glad it wasn't something serious! Thanks Vicki, didn't know baby poop could do that..

6. pettigrewfarms

pettigrewfarms New Member

Yes this is go to know
    Deana