1wk old buckling constipated

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Alpine Haven Farm, Mar 2, 2008.

1. Alpine Haven Farm

Alpine Haven Farm New Member

I have 2 bucklings that are doing great so far, being raised by their mom. Will be 1 wk. old tomorrow.

I just noticed last night that 1 of them had a bit of feces "stuck" in his bottom, still there this morning. Seems like it's just not coming out. Is there something that I can give him to just get it to pass through easily? I've noticed him look like he's straining to go, but it's still stuck :(

Thanks!

2. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

Give him a baby enema. You can find these at Wal-Mart.

Or make your own with a small amount of mineral oil in a syringe with the needle removed.

Either way will work almost instantly. Karo syrup (orally) can work but it takes much longer.

Sara

3. susie

susie New Member

Someone told me Karo syrup he should just lick it up it's so sweet. Worked for my girl.
    Good luck!

Susie

4. Alpine Haven Farm

Thanks for the tips.... I will give them a try asap!

5. Sondra

Sondra New Member

even a syringe with warm soapy water will work for enema

6. Alpine Haven Farm

Sondra: I've never done an enema before...would you just use a few cc's of the water? And just push it through the blockage to get it in there as far as you can? (sorry for the graphic visual)

7. Chaty

Chaty New Member

I get teh Fleet babys enemas and keep them on hand just in case I need them for the G'kids also so I always have them. They are already liquid and you just insert and depress. I have also used suppositories that work and the soapy water enema, make sure its Ivory lquid that isnt the antibacterial type...cant use that type of soap either. I use a lure slip syringe and its got a longer tip on it.and a little KY on the end to insert it.about 3 cc's or maybe more depending on the blockage.

8. Alpine Haven Farm

9. Sondra

Sondra New Member

yep just a 3cc syringe sometimes use a little more if no results.