1st attempt at AI

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Agape Oaks, Oct 8, 2008.

1. Agape Oaks

Agape Oaks Guest

OK, tonight I hope to attempt my 1st AI on my La Mancha doe. I watched one done last week, so hopefully will be able to figure it out :). Last week trying to find the cervix did remind me of the 1st time I used an ophthalmoscope & eventually I did learn that :). Any words of wisdom? I did read & re read the AI info on goat keeping 101.

2. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

It's not technique, it's timing. :)

Don't rush - look at the cervix, mucous to determine the optimum time.

Sara

3. Agape Oaks

Agape Oaks Guest

OK...how much time do I have before the straw is worthless? It didn't look that hard to do, so hopefully I can figure it out

4. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

Max 15 minutes.

It's not difficult... it's fun. Especially when those AI babies arrive in the spring.

If you have questions you can call me. I've been known to AI over the phone. :rofl

Sara

5. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

Something that I ran across this year is if you are having any trouble getting into the cervix you can squirt a tiny bit of the semen as you are trying to get in there (I'm using a French Needle Gun) and it can help you get in past the rings. I had one that I had all but given up on last Sunday and when I squirted a little semen the needle slipped right in. I finished depositing the semen and now have my fingers crossed. Good luck.

6. Agape Oaks

Agape Oaks Guest

OK....hopefully it worked! My one problem- got all finished & realized I had forgotten to turn off the fluorescent lights- acckkk! Is it ruined?

7. ecftoggs

ecftoggs New Member

Pam,
    I wouldn't be too worried about the flourescent lights as long as you didn't hold the straw directly below them. I believe that while the flourecscent will degrade some of it it would have to be direct and close.
    I go into the cervix with my sheath first to be sure that I can get in. Once I am in I have Mary old the sheath and speculum in place while I thaw and prepare the straw. I then load the straw and into the sheath already in place and set my gun. If all goes well the semen is deposited in less than 3-4 minutes from leaving the tank.
    Tim

8. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

:lol Pam, you're over-thinking this. Relax and enjoy it. It ain't brain surgery! :rofl Oh, I forgot...you are a surgeon! It's much easier than what you do in real life!!

Naw, I don't even consider the fluorescent lights. Most of the semen packaged today is in colored straws...and that that isn't, you're not going to be exposing it that long, anyway.
    Before I inseminate a doe with semen from a buck I haven't checked before, I run it under the microscope to check for viability...my microscope light is flourescent and it doesn't kill it while I'm looking at it.
    Kaye

9. Agape Oaks

Agape Oaks Guest

OK...well she was still in this morning so I repeated it without flourescent lights :). It really wasn't that hard. I didn't check it under the microscope....I have one just forgot to do that :). I did keep telling her to have twin does :). I hope it worked :)

10. FRW

FRW New Member

Welcome to the World of AI.
    Glad that you accomplished your first AI. You will feel like you gave birth yourself when those AI kids hit the ground. I have only accomplished AI for about 4 years with goats ,Goats are allot harder than most other animals. I like the french needle gun. I have had more luck with it than any the other ones I have. The last 2 does I AI's kidded with tripletts this year and the buck I used had been dead over 20 years .I checked the first straw under the microscope because I really wasn't sure how well it had been preserved before todays new methods.There were some dead of course and some allive I was shocked to here both had triplett does.I had bad problems with my back and had to sale out for a short period but looking forward to getting 2 of these girls back bred in the spring.
    Congradulations.