14 % alfalfa pellets with soy?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by SherrieC, Feb 11, 2008.

1. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

I was in the other farm store and saw these with no price, and I thought Maybe they might be cheaper. turns out they were NOT cheaper, but I wasn't thinking of feeding them to any Does, just Bucks would they be good for them the adults done growing, just in case they run low on pellets again, I may have to grab a few bags of these for the boys. :biggrin

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

What percentage of protein does the soy bring up the sack? I am using soybeanmeal to up the protein of my does feed right now since the alfalfa pellets this time of the year are lower than starting this late spring, but not for the bucks, they don't need the protein anyway. Vicki

3. goatkid

goatkid New Member

The alfalfa pellets I buy from the man I get my hay from are labelled min. 14% protein and the only ingredient is suncured alfalfa. I've thought of getting soy meal to add to my grain mix, but have never found it in the feed store. Is this something that needs to be special ordered?

Kathie

4. Rambar Ranch

Rambar Ranch New Member

Is the ground soybean meal better than whole roasted soybeans? I can get the whole roasted soybeans, (smells like peanut butter, lol) much cheaper than the ground soybean meal. Just wondering if it made any difference in the digestion?
    Ray

5. haeema

haeema New Member

What ratio do you feed?

6. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I thought we don't feed soy?? Where did I get that from??

7. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

I don't feed soy to my milkers as It's not supposed to be good for you for some reason, Or it's the New "out" thing, and the Milk customers don't like it. Why is the pure pellets I buy 17 % protein and the soy ones only 14 %, does this mean they utilized Crappy hay?

8. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Sondra I am not anti soy...some are. Soy is the ingredient in nearly all protein licks. And Ray I would love to be able to get roasted soybeans...alas ours is meal. I ran my 14% alfalfa pellets, they will be 17% in April again, and my 12% oats...through my feed math calculator (my daughter Joni ;) and came up with 1/4 cup rice bran (14% fat) to raise my percentage of fat up to 3% and 1/2 cup of soybeanmeal to raise my percentage of protein up 3%. In crusing through the other feed stuffs off the page Sondra put up, I couldn't see what adding beet pulp would do, although would love to add barley. Vicki

9. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Yep I would want the roasted soybeans too Ray Gosh am going to have to go back to the drawing board and see what to do . My alflalfa pellets have always been 14%

10. old dominion

old dominion New Member

For years I have been feeding roasted soybeans. Until about 2 years ago I roasted raw beans in my home oven. To say the least my husband is thrilled to no longer have pans of soybeans in the kitchen. The roasting changes something and allows the does to more efficiently use the by pass proteins. You can really tell a difference in the milk production with them. I add them to my dry grain mix to increase fat and protein.

11. Sondra

Sondra New Member

WEll I found two places here in TX to get roasted soybeans so am going to have to call them one isn't too far from me. the other is down around Austin.