100 % GM soap lye temp

Discussion in 'Soap Making' started by susie, Mar 20, 2008.

1. susie

susie New Member

i mix my GM and lye in an ice bath so I don't get that terribly burnt smell to the lye-- do any of you happen to know the minimum temp I can mix then the lye and the oils? Usually my oils are 100 degrees or so, and I just let the lye get to that temp, but sometimes it's too cool and I hate to add heat to it-- I'm afraid to:)

Susie

2. Kalne

Kalne New Member

I have never taken temps....even on my first batch. I do everything room temp. I feel the outside of my lye pitcher. If it's just barely warm it's okay. Most of the time it's not even that. Same with the oil.

3. kidsngarden

kidsngarden New Member

Hi Susie,
    Where are you in WA? I'm in Sedro Woolley in Skagit county.

I don't do the whole Ice bath thing. If I want to make 100% GM soap I freeze the GM in cubes, weigh it, and then with th cubes frozen solid I dump my weighed lye all on top and stir stir stir until there are no cubes left and then dump it into Room temp or just warm to the touch oils.

4. susie

susie New Member

I'm in Auburn :)
    do you get that really stinky burnt milk smell when you do it this way?? It really takes a long time to add the lye to the milk, but I really like the way the soap turns out nice and light-colored.

Susie

5. kidsngarden

kidsngarden New Member

No. If I use full liquid or even a slight discount I still have WHITE milk when I put it in. Even if the milk goes a little yellow, it still comes out white soap (most recipes I do have a lot of Lard in them which helps get a white bar too)

Just remember to stir like mad after you dump the lye in (but not so crazy you fling stuff all over, lol!)

Aaaah, so you are down south then. The farthest I have lived south is kirkland. I like living up here in the slow farm towns. Even heading up to Bellingham makes me a little nutty (though it would be worth a trip for you to head to Otion soaps sometime!)

6. FourMileFarm

FourMileFarm New Member

I never check temps on my goat milk soap.

I use the ice water bath as well, and the lye/milk mixture gets REALLY cold! I never even thought to warm it to room temp before adding to the barely melted oils. LOL :/

7. kidsngarden

kidsngarden New Member

My 100% Gm is pretty cold when I mix it too, but the oils are RT.

8. MysticHollowGoats

MysticHollowGoats New Member

This is what I do also, no burnt smell and a nice light (almost white) color.

9. Sondra

Sondra New Member

My goat milk is also frozen and the pan is sitting in very cold water in my sink I then add the lye very very slowly stiring all the while Never have take the temp but I found that if you add the lye to fast or in a big glob then yes it will burn the milk.

10. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

I freeze mine in quart bags and dump all the bags I'm doing for the day into the left side of sink. Pick one and put it in my large glass measure, I chop it up with a steack knife till I have mostly chunks of frozen milk about 1 1/2 inch. Then I do dump all my lye on quick, but I've got my stick blender at the ready. I have light soap.

11. susie

susie New Member

Great ideas! Thanks! I'm going to soap today :0)

Susie