100 days bred

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by steffb, Dec 21, 2007.

1. steffb

steffb New Member

I have been feeding the pregnant does about 1/4 cup of oats a day with about 1lb of alfalfa pellets. They do get grass hay all day. I am wanting to start increasing the grain. Should I increase the pellets also at the same ratio. I can not give the pellets free choice, too many other creatures in the same pasture. Is the calcium phosphorous ratio what I am concerned with?

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Those pg does should be getting at least 3lbs of alfalfa pellets a day and start increasing the grain gradually.

3. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

OK...what breed :)

I also would increase both. Slowly over the next 25 days move up to 1 pound for oats, then the last 25 days close to what they will be getting on the milkstand.

Slowly move your milkers to more alfalfa pellets, mine are doing fine on 2 pounds, but they will be at 3 by the time they are 25 days from kidding. I also put grass hay out evenings, even if it is just a flake to get them to come over and eat it.

Move both slowly though! Have they started consuming alot more minerals yet? Vicki

4. steffb

steffb New Member

They have been consuming minerals like crazy since I started on whole grain and loose minerals. I have gone thru a bag a week since Sept. I only have 25 goats. I put out about 10 cups a day everyday.
    I can only give the alfalfa pellets on the milk stand. I have many other creatures in the pasture that do not need $12/50lb of alfalfa. I am hoping to put up a small pen to put the milkers in after I milk them so they can get more alfalfa but for now I must feed on the milkstand.
    I was wondering about the calcium-phosphorous ration. Do I need to keep this 2:1 for all feed. The minerals are 2:1 .
    They have grass hay all day. And get a mix of 4 parts oats , 1 part corn and 1/5 part soybean meal. I add the alfalfa pellets to that ration.
    Keep in mind for the past ten years I have fed bagged sweet feed and grass hay. They all did OK. I am hoping to do better, my goats do not have much in the way of milk bloodlines. Except for on or two and last years new buck. So I do not excpect to have milk amount like you guys.

5. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I know my ration is more like 5 to 1. We had a feed guy out from the coop, and after talking about alfalfa he asked to see my ration. Vicki