1 dead decomposing kid, one healthy doeling- make that 2 decomposed kids

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by susie, Feb 25, 2008.

1. susie

susie New Member

This is a weird kidding year for us so far-- and not in a good way-- after having the stillborn quads last week, our herd queen Jasmine had a dead and decomposing tiny kid, and a live healthy doeling afterwards-- yay for that!
    Should I put her on antibiotics or anything? I've never had this happen before---

thanks,
    Susie

ETA: We found another dead decomposed kid, she had been carrying triplets.. could this in any way be related to the stillborn quads? ( quads were from a ff 2 yr old) the quads were much further developed and totally not decomposed- the 2 dead triplets are disgusting, and from a 3rd freshener-- but they did have the same sire... Could we be talking a genetic defect incompatible with life or something like that? It would seem like they would all die at similar developmental stages if that's the case... anyone have any ideas or dealt with this before???
    I'm thinking of starting my two remaining pregnant does on antibiotic feed... we're only 1 live kid ( Thankfully a beuatiful doeling) of 7 , but out of just 2 does ... :( any thoughts??

thanks!!

Susie

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Re: 1 dead decomposing kid, one healthy doeling

Would think you need a uterine flush and antibiotics because of the decomposing kid.

3. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

So sorry about your troubles. Sondra fowarded to me this weekend......and I'm almost sure this would be helpful to you also right about now.......any ?'s about it should be ask of them though if you have troubles figuring it out......Hope this helps.

Whim

"""""Vicki:

200 ml Tetracycline antibiotic. This is for a uterine flush. Take some on gloved hand and swipe inside uterine wall. This is for a hard labor when you have to help move kids around, safety precaution. Making and infusion of tetracycline and sterile water (you can boil water to make it sterile or use distilled) and using your weak kid syringe and tube, you can easily flush the uterus yourself.
    300,000 unit penicillin antibiotic 3cc per 50 lbs. Sub Q once a day for 10 days, take temp everyday, if temp goes up 3 cc per 50lbs twice a day. This is if there was a gross out situation during birth (Dead kids, way too much maneuvering of kids to get them out, parts of kids, mummy kids).

Sue Reith:

Because of this potential for post-partum uterine infection during an assisted birthing, I always, immediately at its conclusion, prepare about 7cc of Oxytetracycline LA200, diluted with about 25cc of saline or sterile water (boiled water), in a 35cc syringe, and infuse that right into the uterine cavity while the cervix is still wide open and accessible. This flushing with diluted oxytetracycline (diluted to prevent irritation of the uterine tissue) prevents any possibility of pathogenic bacteria getting a foothold in the vulnerable uterus, which, if allowed to happen, will result in the doe being unable to become pregnant when she is bred the following breeding season unless or until the infection caused by those bacteria is cleared up. Oxytetracycline, an antibiotic that is accessible and inexpensive, is very effective in treating uterine infections in goats, and it is preferred over penicillin, which is also accessible and inexpensive, but does not have a good track record in this situation.

Banamine (1cc/100lbs,
    subcutaneously, 1X daily) (to reduce the inflammation next 3 or 4 days continue the Banamine. And some Fortified B
    Complex injections daily, and a shot of BoSE (1ccX40lbs,daily,
    subcutaneously), wouldn't hurt either, and see how things go.
    Sue Reith.

Also Kaye just told Tim to use Dex

Dex...1cc/50# twice a day for 1st day...then drop her to 1cc/50# once a day for 3 days. Continue the banamine at the same time...yeah, I know you're not suppose to give the two together...but in this case do it.

4. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Also Ric had a problem kidding and his vet used this stringe tubing contaptions, we are getting a where, when and how much from him when it comes in from the vet...hopefully in the package so we can know where to order one. My vet uses a big syringe with tubing but this was supposed to be something better. Vicki

5. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

I will also try to find out what this gadjet that my vet give me is......it is a much stiffer tube than I used before.....and what this (his) flush is made up of too.

He put some antibiotics in a bag of ringers.....but am unclear what it is.......it is his mix for dogs with uterine infections post kidding......I have used this from him before, and it seemed to work well........will try to get better info about it later this week when I pay my bill. :sniffle

6. susie

susie New Member

Okay i have biomycin and sterile water-- what are the amounts?

thank you!

7. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

I did not use sterile water with my doe... just a gloved hand... I *think* I was told 10cc biomycin... but to know I was not spilling it, I did it about 1/3 at a time.... go in and rub around, repeat, repeat....

8. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I only have the amounts which are above :
    7cc of Oxytetracycline LA200, diluted with about 25cc of saline or sterile water (boiled water), in a 35cc syringe

don't know abt biomycin

9. susie

susie New Member

i thought i was going to put in a weak kid tube in the doe and then squirt some water/biomycin in through the tube... am I wrong?
    thanks! I think I'll compare the strengths of biomycin and la 200... I believe they are the same strength oxytetracycline
    susie

10. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

""" I will also try to find out what this gadjet that my vet give me is......it is a much stiffer tube than I used before....""" Whim

Ok , if this helps....this is a pic of the syringe and tube that I am using this time......this tube is rather stiff. The one last year was really limber, and kept bending too easy.
    This one is way to long for most goats, about 4 to 6 inches in on an ND, seems to be plenty enough.......bet some of these other folks can give you a better reading on this.......the tip of this tube is very smooth and rounded..... and am really not sure what it was designed for.
    This syringe holds 60 cc's ......so sometimes need to do it twice with an ND....I suspect more with a big doe to get good coverage.
    Can tell you this.....that a sore doe don't like this at all, and you may need some help to hold her still while pumping this stuff. BTW, I slime up the tube with Prep. H before sliding it in, and also wipe her up good with it afterwards.
    Maybe some of these gal's can add comments to this post ....
    Hope this helps some, Whim

[​IMG]

11. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

OK Whim did you clean your stove before you took the picture :) I love looking around folks photos for things besides the actual subject :)

I am not a fan of LA200 unless you have it and really on this forum more than a few months and reordering your drugs you should be using any 200 mg tetracycline but LA200.

Uterine washes are simple. Pull out a bunch of tetracycline, add water, powerwash out the uterus. When your vet does it there certainly isn't alot of measuring going on. All our full sized does are large enough that once kidded and passed the placenta you can eaisly put your hand back in to guide your tubing.

I know Ric's held several ounces and was able to spray with more force than a syringe, so I will be curious to see it. And it may be a new syringe to load lotion into bottles!!! Vicki

12. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

:rofl Thanks for the tip V......and yea , I could see where taking a pic of somewhere like this could get me a real tail beating from you know who. :peepwall

Whim

13. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

:lol Whim,
    That's either a mare infusion sheath or a cattle AI sheath. Both are *stiffer* than our AI sheaths. I like the hard cattle AI sheaths (bought a pkg. just for uterine infusions) because they're a heck of lot cheaper than mare infusion sheaths!

On,MY...that sure doesn't look like my stove right now...heck, I don't think mine has been that clean since I bought it!! Good job,Mrs. Whim.
    Kaye

14. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

You mean any other brand name except LA200? I believe it goes by several...but the same 200mg/ml oxytetracyline?

15. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

I don't know I'm hoping Mrs. Whim doesn't see that photo or Whim you'll be srubbing the stove.. :roflGoo that thing on the stove was last put in a what? :shudder Yuck lol!

16. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

Bio-Mycin® 200
    Oxytetracycline HCL
    (Boehringer) Formulated with a "no sting" carrier. Broad-spectrum antibiotic, containing 200 mg of oxytetracycline per ml,

LA-200® Liquamycin® Oxytetracycline
    (Pfizer) Broad spectrum antibiotic, containing 200 mg of oxytetracycline per ml,

Same drug, same mg/ml, just different carriers. We use the Bio-Mycin for the no sting properties. There is a 200mg/ml IV injectable that I have used on the horses before...but since it's yellow colored,....nothing in the vein that is colored teaching...I have a hard time using it IV! LOL...I have used Bio-Mycin in an IV drip mixed with Lactated ringers.

Hey, Whim....if you're going to use that sheath more than one time....PLEASE flush it with Nolvasan or chlorehexadine mixed with water, several times and wrap what length would go into a doe with paper towels. You really don't want to put bacteria into the uterus. Yeah, I know, you're using it to put drugs into the uterus...but think clean for my piece of mind. ;)
    Kaye

17. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

"""Hey, Whim....if you're going to use that sheath more than one time....PLEASE flush it with Nolvasan or chlorehexadine mixed with water""" Kaye

Kaye, I've been cleaning it with a strong clorox solution...hope that works OK ...and yep about the stove, I'll probably be in trouble here in about another 45 minutes. Well, if I don't ever post here any more, yaw can send goat feed instead of flowers I guess. :sniffle

Whim