What garden veggies can goats eat

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Keeperofmany, Aug 5, 2008.

1. Keeperofmany

Keeperofmany New Member

Is there any veggies that goats shouldn't eat,or the plants themselves? I have stuff coming from my garden and was wondering what they can eat. I have cucumbers,squash,tomatoes,corn stalks,grapes,cabbage,and carrots. Is there anything as far as garden produce that they shouldn't have?

Wendy

2. Ravens Haven

Ravens Haven New Member

I give mine, tomatoes, corn stalks and that is about all they will eat.

3. Rambar Ranch

Rambar Ranch New Member

Our goats love the corn stalks and husks, carrots(tops and bottoms) watermelon and cantalope. They love grape leaves, and cabbage. They dont care much for tomatoes or hot peppers, lol, but they like the bell peppers. But every time my young doelings escape into my garden on me the first thing they eat are the weeds and leave everything else.

Ray

4. VickiLynne

VickiLynne New Member

Mine love the green bean plants, the green pepper plants, watermellons and of course the weeds.

Vicki in NC

5. 2Sticks

2Sticks New Member

Mine really seemed to like the watermelon plants and the crowder pea plants!

Tamera

6. wheytogosaanens

wheytogosaanens New Member

I think you are supposed to avoid the brassica family, at least while they are bred or just before breeding. The brassicas interfere with iodine absorption and you end up with kids with no hair and goiters. Kaye gave Jennie a list... I'll see if I can find it.

Camille

7. Jo~*

Jo~* New Member

I would not give any Rhubarb leaves.

8. Keeperofmany

Keeperofmany New Member

Thanks guys. I am not giving alot of anything just as a treat and wanted to know if they had sense enough to not eat anything that wasn't good for them. Would love to see a list of things though.

Wendy

9. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

Mine love french fries dipped in ketchup. Does that count? :)

Sara

10. Sondra

Sondra New Member

NO NO to rubarb leaves tis posion ask me how I know (Killed all my rabbits)

11. Ann

Ann New Member

My goats seem to skip the weeds and go for the biggest juicy tomatoes they can find. If I yell "no no Bad goats" they run to the gate as if to say "how did we get in here?"
    I also have some 12foot Azaleas in their grazing area. It just takes once for them to nibble and get a sick tummy to leave it alone. Although Sherman was a slow learner he now avoids the big bushes.
    Ann

12. prairiegirl01

prairiegirl01 New Member

Mine love broccoli, apples and carrots. Someone suggested brassicas are bad for them? Is so, I'll quit feeding it.

Chris

13. Keeperofmany

Keeperofmany New Member

Well my goats are eating my raspberry leaves and corn stocks. They also seem to love spinach. They are eating spruce branches and the occasional pine branch,these are harder to get. They will have to wait a bit longer to taste the other garden veggies.

Wendy

14. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Ann you must not have Azealas but rhododendrons. How does that saying go...all rhododendrons are Azaleas but not all Azaleas are rhododendrons? Azaleas, even a small part of a leaf can stop the spasitc action of the rumen and kill your goat. Be careful out there! Vicki

15. Ann

Ann New Member

They are azealas, Even though they were here when we move here 15 years ago. I have been thinking about cutting them down. After reading your reply Vicki they will be coming down soon.
    Ann