Weaning

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Tracy in Idaho, Jul 9, 2011.

1. Tracy in Idaho

Tracy in Idaho New Member

So who has weaned their kids so far?

It's that time of year when I start to contemplate weaning versus beating them to death with the lambar :bang

They fight, they push, they rip the bucket off the fence, or knock the holder over, and of course --they ALL MUST HAVE THE ONE PERFECT NIPPLE -- -GRRRRRR!!!!!!
    evil evil evil goatlings.

2. KJFarm

KJFarm Senior Member

All of mine were weaned 2 weeks ago - screaming for the lambar is down to a minimal now!!! Always a great feeling to be done pasteurizing mik and cleaning those lambars for the year dance:

3. wheytogosaanens

wheytogosaanens New Member

Not yet.....with May babies and soon-to-be July kids (long story, don't ask! :duh ), well, let's just say that I am trying to NOT think about it!

Sigh. :faint

4. Necie@Lunamojo

Necie@Lunamojo New Member

Just going to once a day today. :( Youngest was born 4/12 and is about 40#. Don't want to, but...long story short--my hay guy is an a**hole and I'm looking for a new one. Can't afford alfalfa pellets AND extra milk due to the gals production going down due to hay they won't eat. :(

5. MF-Alpines

MF-Alpines New Member

Yes, what the heck is that all about?!? And from the day they were born, no less. Makes me crazy!!! :crazy

Still feeding doelings born 3/15, 2xday, but have talked about cutting back to 1xday. They are just not into that morning bottle. Little guy I purchased that was born 4/10, he'll be on the bottle for a while. At least he is NOT picky.

I am eagerly awaiting this day.

6. Tracy in Idaho

Ah Camille, I feel the pain -- I have May kids too....though I got smart and sold the pregnant doe that was due in July, LOL!

I am still milk feeding February kids! FIVE MONTH OLDS! Twice a day at that!!! I have yet to have anyone turn away from milk, they are all pigs.

Vicki, did you go back to weaning at 12 weeks, or are you going longer this year?

7. Twillingate Farm

Twillingate Farm New Member

I just weaned the last three April kids two days ago. They were following the example of the March kids and are eating medicated meat goat to the tune of over ten pounds a day for six kids. They're into the hay very well too so at ten weeks they started walking away from the lambar with it still half full... time to wean!

What a relief to put the pasteurizer and lambar away... So much less to carry and clean up after every day!

8. Anita Martin

Anita Martin Senior Member

We are thinking about it:) My oldest are just now four months old. When I need the milk, they get shorted, but otherwise, since I'd be dumping milk since everybody is at their peak, I go ahead and fill them up twice a day.

I have june babies too so it will definitely be fall before everyone is weaned. My biggest complaint is that I have to clean the darn things so much! They get yukko really fast, and I hate all the bleaching and scrubbing.

9. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I weaned my March kids, last week was the last day of getting to empty lambars from the other pen, they are eating so much of their pellet and eating so much hay they didn't need the milk anyway...their pen is the Sahara Desert with this drought...but alas I have another group of 5 June kids and I am keeping all of them, so I will be lambaring for awhile now. Usually the March kids would already be out in the woods pen, but I am buck poor at the moment so they are stuck in the desert eating hay.
    Between milk sales and soap and 3 grandboys drinking milk, we don't have a drop to spare. Vicki

10. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

My buckling and the Nubian doeling are weaned. Everybody else is still on the bottle or still nursing.

11. Caprine Beings

Caprine Beings New Member

The kids that were born here are weaned, Lizzie, Taylah and Buggs were weaned shortly before Michelle picked them up. The three left (4 and almost 4 months old) from our kids weighed in at 69 lbs (yes all three of them) and that was about a week ago. But I do supplement with MGP. They are off of MGP now. The two that we got from Michelle are on the Lambar, they are 2 and 3 months old, two lambars a day---BUT the 3 month old is weaning herself and only slurps and runs to eat hay. Those two are NOT on MGP, as I am doing an experiment. I dunno whats in the milk other than the grain and hay we feed the does but they are scootin up there fast. Enormous growth pattern going on here and I must be vigilant they do not grow to fast again. I will have to cut the 3 month old off and cut the 2 month old down to once a day.
    Or I can just take the hay away...JJ :rofl.
    Tam

12. DostThouHaveMilk

DostThouHaveMilk New Member

Looks like dad is still offering a small amount of milk to some February/early March kids. The December/January lambar kids have been weaned for a bit and the next group is following quickly in their hoofprints. The March-July babies are still on fullfeed.
    Our dam raised kids are all still nursing. None of dams have weaned kids yet (the oldest were born 12/3). We'll start shipping kids within the month and they are force weaned at that stage.
    We are a bit shy on milk with the drop in production from the cows due to the heat. He is currently milking four-five does to bottle feed the bull calf since there is not any extra from the cows. The babies aren't getting quite as much as they might normally, but still more than a lot are fed.

13. wheytogosaanens

wheytogosaanens New Member

Well, God took pity on me. (I think - that or He is laughing at me!). :)

5 buck kids born today. Gonna let Anika raise three of them directly dam-raised and milk her daughter Anastasia. Anastasia looks to be a very pretty FF, so may just go ahead and keep her. Last doe to kid is 50/50 (Saanen/Boer X) who will get to nurse her kids until weaned and then she will be milked and sold as a milk goat (last year she did 1 1/2 gallons/day, but when bred to a good Boer buck produces really meaty growthy kids and still mistakenly thinks she is a Saanen ;) so milks another 10 months).

Really really wanted some doe kids from Anastasia as well as Anika (bred to Xavier), but the workload just went waaaaaay down, so I have to admit it is a relief. Now just a couple of weeks to wean the May kids (we wean around 12 weeks or so) and then a nice break. Hopefully the weather will finally warm up (we have had 3 - count them - 3 days over 80 degrees so far this summer, no kidding) and we will go play at the lake!

14. SherrieC

SherrieC New Member

We aren't done kidding yet either, I am keeping my kids and calfs on Lambar till fair which starts next week. I'm NOT dragging pastuerized milk with me to the fair all week. The kids at home will still be getting milk, but with new babies due Next week, a set of 5 week old twins, and a doe due Sept 2nd the older kids and Calfs can be weaned so the new babies can take over.

15. Josie

Josie New Member

I *just* weaned my Feb kids last week. :blush

16. Candy

Candy Member

Thats ok. I just relized we are still bottleing a Feb Nubian buck. He weighs about 65 pounds. :)

17. Halo-M Nubians

Halo-M Nubians New Member

I was going to let mine wean themselves but got tired of it so Dec-Feb doelings got weaned last month. I have a 12 week old wether who has weaned himself this last week..and a late may buckling who will be on milk for awhile yet.

18. Tracy in Idaho

Good GRIEF -- I just took the weight tape out and took guesstimates on the kids -- the Feb/Mar doelings were from 75-85# on the tape! Pulled as tight as I could get it too.

The smallest doeling that I have been complaining about that just didn't fit into the group -- 60#. So yeah, definitely smaller -- but not quite the runt I thought she was! That's only a 4 month old!

I need to contemplate cutting their milk off I think ;-)

19. Ashley

Ashley New Member

I'm just now working towards 1x a day for my February doelings. Mainly because I'm going to have to dry up the cow. My doeling from Vicki will be getting milk for a while yet. Arg.

20. Caprine Beings

Caprine Beings New Member

Tracy, your four month old is not that far off from ours:) Of which I figured :).
    Tam