Spray for disbudding

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by DostThouHaveMilk, Feb 23, 2012.

1. DostThouHaveMilk

DostThouHaveMilk New Member

Alrighty.
    What is everyone using on kid heads after disbudding?
    No Furall anymore, so now what. I've been using the Alushield and it has worked fine for me, but didn't know what others use. If anything.

2. mommaB

mommaB KK Snowd'n Acres

I use blue Kote...

3. doublebowgoats

doublebowgoats New Member

I also use alushield

4. buckrun

buckrun New Member

Nothing. Ever. Another course of action designed for the human and not the goat.
    So you can feel like you did something to make up for 'hurting' them.
    Bah....A burn is aseptic....until you go messin with it !
    Lee

5. nightskyfarm

nightskyfarm New Member

My dairy inspector told me to put my Furall in the horse barn and leave it there! So, now I use Blu-Kote and have since 2008 with no infection problems. I use it mostly to make ME feel good, as Lee says it is a burn such as that is aseptic.

6. PrairieTrail45

PrairieTrail45 New Member

I use Scarlex (Scarlet Oil) comes in a bottle that looks the same as Blu-Kote, only the spray is red.

7. DostThouHaveMilk

DostThouHaveMilk New Member

The biggest reason we use an aerosol is to help cool the head.
    That and the vet's office has used an aerosol for my entire memory of disbudding (calves, then goats).

8. nightskyfarm

nightskyfarm New Member

It's the Furall that is the problem with food animals not the aerosol itself. It is cancer causing and the FDA has banned such use for food animals.

9. LLB101

LLB101 New Member

My dairy vet said same thing about Furall. I still have a partial can, but it has big tape note on it "NO DAIRY" so it would only be used on a pet wether for example.

The breeder who does most of the disbuddings for me, uses mostly Alushield, sometimes nothing. If its the cooling of the aerosol that's the primary benefit, then I'd look into using an aerosol Aloe if I thought they really needed something. Most of them just seem so totally ok so fast.

10. Bella Star

Bella Star New Member

I use Aloe Vera gel with Tea tree oil and Lidocaine from WM to cool the burn area .

11. Lynn_Theesfeld

Lynn_Theesfeld New Member

Like Lee we don't use anything.

12. H Diamond Farms

H Diamond Farms New Member

I use either aloe or dermaplast or something similar. Just to cool/anestitize(sp) the head. I've tried it with and without, and the kids with seem to feel better more quickly than those without.

13. NWgoats

NWgoats New Member

Not a spray, but I use Burn Jel. It has lidocaine (which makes me feel better)
    it cools and has aloe vera and tea tree oil which seems to speed the healing.
    I could tell the difference in the look of the scabbing between the ones I used
    it on and the ones I didn't.

14. poppypatchfarm

poppypatchfarm New Member

We just use Fight Bac which works well to cool their heads.

15. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

I use Furall. I ordered several cans one time From Jeffers or Valley Vet or somewhere and still have a partial can left. Also have used Blue Kote.

16. Tim Pruitt

Tim Pruitt New Member

NOTHING!

17. H Diamond Farms

H Diamond Farms New Member

I disbudded a couple kids today and it had me thinking about this. For those of you who don't use anything, why? I understand the aseptic part of things. What about cooling the head more quickly after the burn? Is that strictly for us? It seems to me the kids I use something on feel better more quickly. Although the buckling I just did felt the need to rub all the aloe off with his foot, so that kinda defeated the purpose. When I think about disbudding, I think about burning myself. It always feels better if you cool it with something rather than leaving it to cool on it's own. The burning can last for a long time.
    While on the topic, has anyone tried the lidocaine method? I read about it on another breeder's website.

18. dragonlair

dragonlair New Member

I take Aloe leaves from my many huge aloe plants and place them in the fridge before i disbud. By the time I do the disbudding, the gel is cold. I cut open the leaves and cover the burns with the goo.

19. fmg

fmg New Member

Rachael, if what you are referring to is doing a lidocaine block/cornual block, then yes, I have done it. Didn't seem to make much different for the kids...they struggled just as much for the shots as they would have for the disbudding (it takes 2 injections). They did seem to not mind the disbudding as much, but the lidocaine doesn't last all that long, so I'm sure they feel it again once it wears off. It takes 2 injections per horn, 4 injections total, that's a lot of pokes...but the needle used is pretty small. You don't want to give them too much because goats are quite sensitive to anesthetics in general, but apparently lidocaine in particular.

20. nightskyfarm

nightskyfarm New Member

You all are getting much too PC about the process. There are some things we do as goat owners and breeders that are unpleasant, but necessary. The goat has a head meant for BUTTING, banging hard against another goat's head. God made them with very little nerves up there and when disbudding you are quickly cauterizing or killing nerve endings what few there are. The Blu-Kote is comfort to you pretty much, the wound has been sterilized by the intense heat. Don't you think tattooing is more painful for a goat? There are more nerve endings in ears and that plier I know hurts. Do you lidocaine the ears before the proceedure? No. If you're so upset with disbudding, you do not have to do it. In Europe, goats are not disbudded. My feelings on this.