New to goats in north Mississippi

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Amanda Lee, Aug 22, 2008.

1. Amanda Lee

Amanda Lee New Member

Hello to All, I am Amanda Lee, and I am brand new to the world of dairy goats. I own, raise, show and train AQHA quater horses. I am a mama to three year old twins, a boy and a girl. Yes, I do have my hands full with my two. :crazy
    What has brought me to this forum is my sweet boy, Prim. He has developmental delays with Autistic tendencies caused by food allergies / sensitivities. Cow's milk being one of them, so our DAN (Deafeat Autism Now) doctor suggested trying goat milk and goat milk products. That was this past April.
    So I go to the local Wal Mart supercenter and look for goat milk... all I could find was the Meyenberg 1 quart at $3.40. I am like shoooweee that is high! I am driving home thinking I have just paid $16.00 for a gallon of goat milk...there must be a better way.

I started asking around to different folks in my area if anyone raised dairy goats....no luck there, Oh by the way I am in Calhoun City, Mississippi. I started looking in our state farm market bulliten for dairy goats near us and found a lady in Starkville, Ms that had 2 Nubian wethers for sale. I called her. She was so helpful! She gave me the name of another lady near Starkville who had a herd of dairy goats and sold milk to the public. So I have been purchasing my milk form this lady but she is not selling any of her goats right now. Her goats look very well taken care of and healthy. Starkville is an hour drive one way from my home and my children are attending a special pre-school program at Starkville on the Mississippi State Campus. I am in Starkville, 3 days aweek so buying milk is no trouble. BUT by next summer we wil not be driving down here, so I was thinking of purchasing in the spring '09 at least 1 does that will freshen.

I know I want Nubians. I know I need at least 2 goats. I know you have to take excellent care of them if you want good quality milk. I have a barn, a feed room, stalls, pasture, corrall panels....and lots of kudzu, honeysuckle, privet and the likes.

So who in Mississippi raises Nubian? or any of the near by states. Our DAN doctor is in Conway, AR. So I will be going that way at least twice a year.

I made cheese for the first time yesterday!~ The soft kind ...it turned out good
    Thanks for reading my first post and I cannot wait to learn more about dairy goats and all of you.

2. laughter777

laughter777 New Member

I can't help in anyway, but wanted to say welcome! You say you know you need 2, but they are quite addictive! I planned to have 2, I got my first in May and now have 5. 1 is due in Nov. 2 are due in Dec/Jan, and the other 2 will be bred in Oct for March kids! And if all goes well I plan to keep a few doelings!! lol I ONLY wanted 2...how did I get 5!

Good Luck and welcome!
    Sarah

3. Karen Bailey

Karen Bailey New Member

Welcome! I raise Nubians and am on your way to Conway. You would be welcome to stop by. You have come to the best place here for good solid advice on taking care of your future dairy goats. Ask lots of questions, and read in Goat Keeping 101 and the previous posts on this forum. You'll be prepared to take good care of your goats when you find them.

4. Amanda Lee

Amanda Lee New Member

Karen, you are not far at all from Conway! That is great! I am thinking I will be in Conway sometime this fall. We will have to talk. I looked at your website and love the pictures. The palomino pony is a cutie! I have 2 palominos.

Thanks everyone for the warm welcomes!

5. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Hi Amanda WELCOME to the forum am sure u will be able to find goats. Tim in LA /Karen in AR/ Vicki and many others in TX probably some in MS that I can't remember. :)

6. 2Sticks

2Sticks New Member

Hi Amanda,
    Welcome. I'm in South Mississippi, just below Hattiesburg and Rett from Narrowchance is in Wiggins. We both have Nubians. Are you ever down this way? Would love to have you stop by, I'm right off Hwy 49.

Tamera

7. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

Hi and Welcome.

Too funny that you go to Conway. And I've heard of this Dr. recommending goat milk. There's also another clinic in Ark. that does. Colon, I believe. Anyway, one of their patients buys from me.

I'm too far down south, and am a minority~raise Obies, Saanen & Toggs-no Nubians~...but everyone suggested I can vouch for! :biggrin

It's great to see these Dr.s recommending goat milk.
    Kaye

8. Narrow Chance

Narrow Chance New Member

Hello Amanda...Another Mississippi girl!! Whoo hoooo

I'm down almost to the coast of MS.. like Tamera said.. not far from her.
    I do raise and show Nubians... your always welcome by here anytime.
    I know for a fact Tamera always has iced tea made.. and so do I if you ever get down this way.

My website is www.narrowchance.com

Just give a shout if ever we can do anything to help.

9. Wendy Tinney

Wendy Tinney New Member

Hi Amanda! So glad to hear some doctors know the truth about goat's milk. I got into goats for my daughter that we adopted. Again, I send the warning that somehow goats don't just stop at two. Sorry, I'm too far to have you come by, but you will find lots of info here.

Wendy

10. Ravens Haven

Ravens Haven New Member

Welcome Amanda, glad you found us. This forum is chocked full of great people and wonderful information. Yep you have some nice herds there in Mississippi, Texas, Louisiana, Alabama and a few here in Georgia.

Welcome,
    Autumn

11. Tim Pruitt

Tim Pruitt New Member

Hi Amanda,
    I am over here in Louisiana NW of Monroe. I too am glad to hear of a Doctor recommending goat milk. I hope you find some help for your son.

12. Amanda Lee

Amanda Lee New Member

Hi to all the Mississippi folks! I do sometimes get down in the south part of the state. I have all kinds of family down in Stone County. My grandparents lived in Hattiesburg for many years. I use to spend my summers there...it is hotter than hot there! So I do know were Wiggins, Poplarville, Perkinston, Lumberton and other little towns are in that part of our state. My family are Brown's and Russell's. My grandmother was O.B. Brown's younger sister.
    It has been a long time since I have been down that way and I miss it! I to get to know you all better. Thanks for the invites.

The DAN doctor in Conway is Dr. Betsy Hendricks. She is wonderful!!! I am so happy with the help and results tha I have seen with my son.
    The caseins in goat's milk are smaller and chemically different ...I think they are a different shape than those of cow's milk. Thus being eaily digested for the stomach.

13. Narrow Chance

Narrow Chance New Member

Small world Amanda. I was raised in that neck of the woods... I knew your family well. I moved from Silver Run about 10 years ago.. but still have family there. (if you call moving to Wiggins actually moving.. lol)
    O.B. wife, Elizabeth used to cut my hair when I was a child.. she actually gave me my first haircut!!
    We lived next door to Henry Brown.. which was O.B.'s brother.. I think.. lol My great grandfather's sister was actually married to one of those Brown's.. I'm thinking it was O.B.'s father.
    I happen to be part Lee myself... so I recond we have struck up kin :biggrin

If your in this area please stop by...goat folks are always welcome here... especially kin folk. :D

14. Amanda Lee

Amanda Lee New Member

It is a small world!! Wow~! We are kin! :biggrin That is great! Since I was raised in Itawamba county and not Forrest or Stone ...way down south. I don't know as many of my cousins...sadly :( I have stayed in contact with a cuz who was raised in Poplarville. She is a few years older, her grandmother Lillian Smith (but everyone called her Bill) was also a sister to Uncle O.B.'s.

This is so great!!! I never imagined finding kinfolks on this forum :lol

15. goatkid

goatkid New Member

Welcome to the forum. Nubians are my favorite, too. I'm glad your doc is recommending goat milk. I have some customers who are drinking goat milk to deal with health issues, and my own doc says it can help my arthritis. Kathie

16. pokyone42

pokyone42 New Member

Welcome! :)

17. Amanda Lee

Amanda Lee New Member

Hi Kathie, Where in MT are you? My uncle has a cabin near Darby. Are you near there? I haven't ever been but the pictures of there are beautiful!
    Arthritis?! That is good news! I had not heard that before. Goat milk is wonderful and amazing :)
    I know my son has put on weight since starting the goat milk. In May Prim could still wear 2t-3t size shorts now he is wearing 4t shorts.
    Thanks everyone for the welcoms!

18. wheytogosaanens

wheytogosaanens New Member

Welcome Amanda!

Boy did you fall on your feet finding this forum. Folks on here really raise their goats well, with excellent management and great genetics.

I was amazed as I read down how folks know one another and/or are related. Way too cool. So welcome home! :)

Camille

19. Amanda Lee

Amanda Lee New Member

Awww thanks!

Camille, I am too amazed to fine kinfolks! It is so great. I called my mama today and was telling her about Rett (NarrowChance) and how our they know Uncle O. B. and Aunt Lib. Mama was like .."It is just a small world, I have always told you to be nice were ever you go b/c someone will know you our your family" :lol

I had looked at a few forums before finding this one. This forum felt real not full of hype or b.s. and had a good amount of active members. I did not want to join a dead forum, what good would that had done me... none.
    I have had a few people tell me "just go to the sale barn and buy you a dairy goat for $75." My thinking is why do that when I am going to have to spend out the whaazoo to get the animal health. I am not buying somebodies culls/diseased/poor milk quality dairy goat for me to spend the next 2 -4 months with no milk.

When I can go buy a healthy goat and know what I have paid my money for! Yes, I feel like I have found the right place to learn all I can before purchasing.
    Okay I am stepping off my soap box.
    Yes ma'am I am home :)

20. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

""""Arthritis?! That is good news! I had not heard that before. Goat milk is wonderful and amazing""""

Yep...that's what got the goats here at my place to start with......I was on lots of meds, but now have cut the meds way back, and I contribute a lot of it to my goat milk. I think it has also benefited my alergy problem too.

Welcome to the forum,

Whim