New Goat Stalls

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by swgoats, Dec 5, 2012.

1. swgoats

swgoats New Member

2. LSP Farm

LSP Farm New Member

Nice!

3. todog

todog New Member

Oh wow, nice pens. Welcome to the midwest with its weather ups and down. How long have you been in indiana? Again, nice pens. The corner stall is like the corner office. Bigger and highly coveted. Lol

4. Sans Gene Goats

Sans Gene Goats New Member

Very spiffy! :)

5. Trysta

Trysta New Member

Nice!!! Looks like your ladies will be very cozy. And a great idea to put the front fence on hinges! If you have enough goats, it really isn't doable anymore to pitchfork all the pens :nooo I have a high barn like yours, too with lots of 'vertical space' as you put it, but I like that, because it is so much easier to ventilate than when you build roofs/hayloft over the stalls like you see in horse barns. That does keep the stalls warmer, but in my experience keeping the barn aired out and dry is much more important for goats than keeping it warm. My barn has doors open all year long (I do temporary close doors on wind side if the wind is very harsh or if it brings rain into the barn) and waterbuckets do freeze in the winter, but the goats are all in large pens with dry bedding and mostly out of the wind and then they really don't care if it freezes. I am careful with post dip when it's very cold. I put it on in my parlor (where I do have a salamander heater to keep equipment/waterlines freeze-free), leave it in for a minute and then dry it off with a clean paper towel. I know that's a compromise, but I don't want to risk frozen teats and this has been working well.

Enjoy your barn! Looks like you still have plent of room for expansion, by the way :biggrin

6. swgoats

swgoats New Member

You know my husband complains I'm taking up the whole barn :lol. Darlene, I'm a native Hoosier. My hubby is a Texan. We moved back to IN from Texas last fall.

7. funnyfarmtexas.com

funnyfarmtexas.com New Member

love it!

8. lorit

lorit Senior Member

Very nice - looks so clean and airy and easy to work with. :)

question - what size wood did you use to make the frames? 1x4 or 2x4 or what?

And is everything stabilized on the corner with 4x4s or what/how do they attach together?

I really like the hinge idea - would make it so much easier to clean rather than pitchforking over the panels into a wheelbarrow or trailer. Gonna borrow some of this. :)

9. swgoats

swgoats New Member

Oh, and the boards along the bottoms were done to keep the bedding from spilling out so bad, between the boards and the tiny squares of the hog panels. The tiny mini babies should be contained. Last year I had trouble keeping my kids in their pens.

10. doublebowgoats

doublebowgoats New Member

Those look really nice!

11. It's beautiful! I love it!

12. dragonlair

dragonlair New Member

Very nice, love 'em!

13. creekmom

creekmom New Member

Wow, yall did a very good job. They look so neat and well built. I wish my barn looked as tidy and neat as yours!!