Milking

Discussion in 'Forum Announcements & Help' started by CouponingFarmer, Feb 20, 2017.

1. CouponingFarmer

CouponingFarmer New Member

For those that milk more than one goat at a time, so you have a separate bucket for each one, so you have a scale I. The barn, or what is best for keeping records?

2. jdavenport

jdavenport Member

We have a large milk can that we can dump the milk into after its weighed. Milk 1 doe into bucket, weigh the bucket, dump into the large can, milk 2nd doe, weigh bucket, dump into large can, etc. It gets tougher when you have a pipeline milking system. :)

3. cwentworth

cwentworth New Member

the pipeline milking system: do you mean like the Henry Milkers?

i have one and i love it. my girls tend to dance around quite a bit so it is nice for that. it also doubles with our sheep who have too large of teats for the lambs to get on. i have been debating on how to hand that. whether i should have that many separate jars or how to handle milking more than one. my milking does grew this year.

To that note: i have been doing much more research this year and i have heard mention that when using a vacuum milking system that it will not completely strip out an udder. 1) do you know if this is true? 2) if i am going to put the doe in with her kids after milking do i need to worry about stripping the udder?

CouponingFarmer: i hope i didnt hijack your post. sorry if i did

Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
  4. jdavenport

jdavenport Member

No, I meant a pipeline system, like on a large farm, that milks right into a bulk tank. Then you have to buy pricey milk meters for each set of inflations.

question 1- Your girls udder will milk out fully once they are used to the milker, as long as you have the correct pressure and interval. Don't "strip" out the milk, its too hard on their tender teats.

question 2- The kids will play clean up and mom will probably "hold back" some of her milk to feed the ravening horde, once you put them back together after milking.