Lumpy udder

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Louise, Apr 4, 2009.

1. Louise

Louise New Member

Here's a real beginner's question: My goat Nora (I wrote about her trouble with a retained kid) has lumps in a swelling at the back of the udder. She doesn't appear to have any pain, it's not hot or red, but feels like a cluster of harder lumps. It's been like this for some weeks. She kidded mid February. I do not milk her, but her doeling does.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Does anybody know what this is, if and how I should treat it? By the way, it's just a trick of the shadows that makes it look as if she only has one teat. She has two.

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Oh wow, you know I have seen lots of things, but I can honestly say if this thing on her udder was black, I would tell you she had cancer. I saw Sannen doe down here with a malignant tumor that was just like that, except it was black, it was shiney like this, didn't effect her milking ability at all and ran across the medial just like this. Unless this is something seen in your area of the world, like we get staph on udders that other places in the states have never seen....or infected fire ant bites.

Is there anyway this could be frost bite? Vicki

3. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Would think frostbite would also turn colors (black) This looks more like tumors of some sort.
    Or another thought is that the udder itself has a rupture like a hernia where the wall of the udder is too thin and not holding it in.

4. dragonlair

dragonlair New Member

Wow, that's odd. In 30 some odd years with goats I have never seen anything like that. It likes like the udder tissue has escaped from the supportive connective tissue and is bulging out.

5. Bernice

Bernice New Member

Dag.......I have not seen anything like that in all my years. It almost appears to be some sort of tumor. Has it been getting larger? Something about her vulva doesn't look right either. How old is Nora?

6. Louise

Louise New Member

I never realized this was something rare. (I'm a beginner only have 3 adult goats and 3 kids.)
    That the vulva looks a bit strange is probably due to her very tough time getting the retained kid out (here is the thread about it:http://dairygoatinfo.com/index.php/topic,8210.msg86933.html#msg86933).

Nora is 5 years old. I think her previous owner tried her as a milk goat, but gave up, the orifices open to the sides, not downwards. I'm not sure how long her udder has looked this way. She used to have much more hair back there, so I didn't notice before. I cut the hair when we struggled to get the dead kid out a month ago, and when I cleaned her afterwards, it looked like this. I do not htink she's been harmed by frost recently. It was cold in February, but as you said, it would have changed colour by this time.

If it was hernia, would it then be harde lumps than in the healthy part of the udder?
    Unfortunately, I think, of the suggestions so far, tumors seem likely...

I guess I should set my mind on losing this doe. At least she doesn't look sick at all now, just very hungry. And she is raising her kid well.

7. Theresa

Theresa New Member

I have never seen anything like that either. I would have to agree that it is some type of tumor. If you truely wanted to know, you could have a vet do a biopsy. You would then know what it was and if it was malignant.
    Theresa

8. Sondra

Sondra New Member

OK if it is hard lumps then I say tumor or mastitis I would have a vet look at it.

9. Bernice

Bernice New Member

Hi Louise,

Poor Nora has been through a lot in the past few months! I'll read the posts about her delivery.

With the swollen vulva you could try applying a good hemmorid medicine on it, like Perparation H, if that's what is available in Sweden or what kind is used where you are. The good sign is she is eating well and allowing her kid to nurse. Which just made me think, she must not have pain as you mentioned because nursing would be painful. What does the rest of the udder feel like, hard or soft? I see another smaller lump at the top of the teat on the right side, what does that feel like?

Honestly I would have a vet look at it as was suggested, I'm thinking a biopsy would tell you more. Hope all works out well!

10. Wow, never seen anything like that before. Hope you get it figured out though!