Is a pygmy a good milker?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by nicamom, Mar 14, 2012.

1. nicamom

nicamom New Member

My daughter wants to raise another goat, and we had the opportunity to get a pygmy right now on bottle. Are they a good milking breed? I know the common milkers and we usually milk a Nubian but not sure about a pygmy? We are not a family that uses a lot of milk.
    Thanks

2. doublebowgoats

doublebowgoats New Member

Generally a pygmy is not considered a dairy breed because they tend to only make enough milk to raise their babies but there are folks who do milk them and the milk is usually very high in fat. A nigerian dwarf is also very small but they are more "dairy" and will produce more milk for their size.

3. H Diamond Farms

H Diamond Farms New Member

It's kinda like milking a Boer goat. Some will make lots, some will not make much at all. Also, you need to consider who will be doing the milking and teat size. (ie, a man would have a hard time milking most mini breeds I think. :)

4. MayLOC

MayLOC New Member

What amount of milk from a goat would be worth the time to milk it and the expense to raise it to you?? Only you can answer that question I guess. To me, it wouldn't be worth my time and effort, so I would prefer any other breed available. You can probably find a bottle baby of dairy breed anywhere right now.

5. swgoats

swgoats New Member

My husband milks my Mini Nubians just fine :)

6. MayLOC

MayLOC New Member

:lol ya, I have seen several goats of several -dairy- breeds with little bitty tiny little teats that I would refuse to handmilk.
    I think you just gotta realize that a pygmy is meant to be a meat breed goat and while they may have some milk, it isn't going to be very efficient to milk one.
    I would at least steer towards the dairy mini breeds and nigerians would milk better on average as they are meant to. know what I mean.

7. fmg

fmg New Member

My husband milks my ND does just fine as well. He actually prefers them to the really big teated does. But, ND is what he learned on...

8. swgoats

swgoats New Member

Size of the orifice has alot to do with ease of milking IMHO. It is all about selection. A Pygmy from a milking herd might be great, but how common is that? Not that common. The best thing when first starting out is to get a nice adult doe, milk stand trained from a clean tested herd.