Hoof Problem

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by cstafford, Feb 5, 2011.

1. cstafford

cstafford New Member

Hello,
    I have a doe that has a crack in the hoof wall on her front foot. Everyone is on ice/snow at this time. I trimmed her a little and can tell there is debris between the hoof and hoof wall. What can I/should I do for her? I could tell it was tender because she didn't want to stand on it on the stand while the other foot was being trimmed.
    Thank you for any help,
    Carol

2. BrokenHalterFarm

BrokenHalterFarm New Member

You're going to need to get that hole cleaned out.

Any way you can get a picture of it? It's hard to say what to do without seeing the problem.

3. Anita Martin

Anita Martin Senior Member

Please post a close-up picture of the hoof in the natural light. Do you have a dremmel? You will need a dremmel or a rasp for this. Use the dremmel or the rasp from the TOP of the hoof. Rasp with downward strokes until you get all the crack gone. Don't worry about getting the debris out, it will come out when you trim and you will leave no where for it to get back in. If you try to do this from the bottom of the hoof with nippers you will have a sore footed goat.

You are basically taking off all of the cracked hoof wall. Make sure the walls are trimmed level with the bottom of the hoof and trim any and all hoof wall that flares out from the crack. You want a clean and smooth surface. With the hoof wall trimmed down smooth the new wall will grow in tightly connected.

You will have to make sure you keep this doe trimmed every 4 weeks and don't let her get overgrown at all or she will re-crack. Make sure she is copper bolused and has a recent bo-se shot, but all the vitamins in the world will not prevent a hoof crack if the feet are allowed to overgrow.

4. cstafford

cstafford New Member

Anita,
    Thank you. My cousin is a nail tech and raises Nubian. She suggested I clean it with a syringe and acetone then fill it with acrylic and file it smooth. What do you think? Would it work? It is cracked almost up to what I would call the coronary band. I will get pictures tomorrow if there is enough light as another storm is predicted for us. UGH!

5. Jryan

Jryan New Member

I have no idea if goats would be the same, but I would think at the very least somewhat similar -
    If it was a horse, we'd soak the hoof (you could do something as simple as warm epsom salt water) (which will clean most of the debris out). Then either a good trim or if it is a more severe crack, apoxy on it and file it down flush like you mentioned. Then, make sure to keep it trimmed more often than normal while it is healing and growing out new hoof to keep it healthy.

6. cstafford

cstafford New Member

Hey Andrew thank you for the response!

Jessica, We thought we would use a boot to soak it just like you say, then 'fill it once it has been prepped. Where in Central Ok are you? Do you show?
    Thanks,
    Carol

7. cstafford

cstafford New Member

Dang!
    I'm on the learnin curve been tryin to post this dang picture forEVER!
    So, here goes!

Thanks everyone!
    Carol

[attachment deleted by admin]

8. cstafford

cstafford New Member

Whohoo, I did it! I know it isn't exactly in the right spot but you can see it, right?
    Thanks guys,
    Carol

9. Ashley

Ashley New Member

Yea, she has some "white line disease" under the crack which is what caused the crack. I would give the hoof a normal trim and then re sect the wall where it's black underneath (do you have a hoof knife?). I have found my goats don't get this now that I've been copper bolusing for a while.

I also always cut the wall on an angle, not flat across.

10. Jryan

Jryan New Member

We're just east of OKC/Edmond about 15 min. Don't show goats, got them pretty much just for milk and enjoyment recently and they've done a good job of both. Besides, I'm not sure I'd have time to show goats if I wanted to with all the horse competitions we go to. Maybe when my son gets older if he wants, he can show them but not in my plans. :)
    I think your plan for the hoof is good, again, I'm basing that off the theory that a goat hoof and horse hoof although different would at least respond to treatment for cracks the same. TSC sells the appoxy I believe. We literally had to reattach part of a horses hoof with it once and it worked great. Its also good for less sever cracks, breaks, etc. We've had good luck using it.

11. cstafford

cstafford New Member

Okay,
    Sounds like we have a plan. Now to round up the needed supplies and a helper. I will give you all an update as we proceed.
    Thank you all for your wonderful help and time!
    Carol

12. Anita Martin

Anita Martin Senior Member

I would definitely NOT fill this hole with anything at all nor clean it with acetone. You'll kill beneficial microbes as well as bad bacteria. The heat generated by the appoxy or hoof glue when mixed together will also kill beneficials. There is no need to glue this hoof back together. It is not falling apart. You will seal IN bacteria and seal OUT oxygen.

Do soak it in soapy water or water with lysol added. Made sure it's warm. Do not use bleach...again, you will kill beneficials. You can take more of that hoof wall off. You can use the hoof knife if you have one sharp enough, but after the knife you'll need to go at it with a dremmel or sharp rasp. Rasp downward and try to get rid of anything that sticks out. Don't make it bleed. You should be able to take off most all of the outer hoof wall without damaging the foot.

Trim all the black away, which is dirt and bacteria. Spray it with that blue/purple stuff...blue kote I think it's called. The bottom of the hoof looks like it still needs more trimming. It should be smooth with no crevices in which dirt can hide. It also looks too tall.

You can make her a boot out of vet wrap and guaze if needed. Might be a good idea to keep it clean for a few days.

13. Ashley

Ashley New Member

It will also kill tissue- making food for the bad guys. I also would not epoxy or anything. Resect it and it should grow out fine. Keep her trimmed extra often for a while.

14. luvzmybabz

luvzmybabz New Member

I will add my 2 cents we had a trimming accident about 1 1/2 weeks before the last snow doe had seemed to be healed no limping or favoring the foot. After the snow she started limping again when she had been out walking on the snow. Was fine if she had been in the barn for a while but as soon as she stepped out in the snow she would start limping. So I am assuming that the cold was affecting the exposed tissue. Just FYI.