Hard knot in teat- Any suggestions? (Solved!)

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by AlaynaMay, Oct 29, 2012.

1. AlaynaMay

AlaynaMay New Member

So my Am. Nubian doe, Mabel, has had a hard lump or knot in her left teat for quite some time (about a year, maybe a little more). I noticed that one teat was harder to milk out than the other, and it gradually grew larger and harder until it became virtually impossible to milk out. So we dried off that side. There is a very distinct lump or knot about half-way down the teat. I'm guessing that it's about the size of an airsoft BB (slightly larger than a regular BB.) I'm thinking that maybe it's a fat deposit as the person I bought her from was feeding a very high protein pelleted feed. I've massaged it for a while, first carefully washing and soaking in warm water, and was able to get some pretty good squirts of liquid out, but in a day or two it was right back to its previous condition. She's due to kid in December, so I'm a little concerned about it. Any ideas for how to get rid of this? I prefer natural treatments, and have read a lot about natural health care (for animals and people), but never came across this before.
    Thank you for your advice!
    Alayna

2. Ashley

Ashley New Member

Re: Hard knot in teat- Any suggestions?

There was someone a while back asking about this but I can't find the thread darn it. As I recall, the knot in her doe's teat was able to be moved around, like you could push it up the teat and milk would come out and it would make it's way back to the bottom and clog it again. Does it seem to be moveable like that or more something that is part of the flesh? Is it rubbery or more like a rock? In her case, she actually managed to work it right out the teat orifice. It was very difficult and the orifice had to stretch a lot but she got it out and it healed up fine.

3. swgoats

swgoats New Member

One of my does was getting plugs when I fed her calf manna. One was so bad I barely got it out. I used a sterile needle (for giving injections) to very carefully break it up, and then forced the pieces out. I hesitate to recommend that, cause it is possible to damage the teat. I think vets have a little instrument they can use. After I got the plugs out, I dipped the teat in straight Hibiclens and let it dry on the teat. I quit feeding the calf manna, and she was fine. The plugs were like curds. Kind of rubbery.

Is the doe CAE negative?

4. AlaynaMay

AlaynaMay New Member

I tried working it out the orifice, and it did seem to loosen up (that's when I was able to squeeze liquid out), but it didn't move around, though it did seem to sort of break up.

She was fed Calf Manna before shows at her other home, in addition to 16% pellets, so I don't know if that could be the problem.

I haven't yet tested her for CAE, but she has shown zero symptoms of it that I can see, so I hope she's negative. But I know that this can be dormant for a while, so am planning to test her at some point after she kids.

5. fmg

fmg New Member

I would suggest testing before she kids for CAE, so that if she does come up positive, you will be able to salvage the kids (by removing them immediately and raising them on prevention). CAE is a sneaky disease and a huge portion of positive goats don't show any symptoms.

6. Island Creek Farm

Island Creek Farm New Member

Calcium deposit ? I have a doe that gets a clump every now and then, but she has had an udder injury at some point (dog), vets say it's from that as her milk tests clean. Couldn't hurt to check for sub clinical mastitis

7. AlaynaMay

AlaynaMay New Member

I've read that a pregnant doe will test negative even if she has it... is this true? (That's why I was holding off.)

8. dragonlair

dragonlair New Member

It could be scar tissue too. We had that problem with a couple of cows we had. Had to use an instrument (I forgot what its called) that you insert into the canal and then pull it back out. It has a sharp hook thing that only cuts when you withdraw it. Usually after you use it, you have to insert a plastic cannula until it's healed.

9. Ober House

Ober House New Member

I had a doe like that and I took her to the vet for her blood work and she said lots of goats get them. Then her blood work came back positive for CL and not CAE She was put down. I am a firm believer of testing everyone in my herd.

10. swgoats

swgoats New Member

I bought a CAE positive doe right before I started testing. She freshened with what felt like a plug. It never could be milked out even after the vet ran the thing up the teat. He thought that it was mastitis and the half was full of scar tissue. But when I tested her she was positive. I don't believe it had anything to do with mastitis. I had to put her down, and her kids since I hadn't tested in advance or pulled the kids. I've never heard that you couldn't test them pregnant.

11. smithurmonds

smithurmonds New Member

How could that be true, when we all send in samples for pregnancy testing at the same time as CAE?

12. Ober House

Ober House New Member

I just tested for CAE and CL and now I am doing pregnancy testing in a week. Next year I will do them together. I test new goats coming in. I like the thought of being able to do them together, much less stress.

As for my girls lump I massaged it and since she was precocious I milked her once a week ans she always had hard clumps so those became less with weekly milking instead of every 3 to 4 weeks. The lump was the size of a golf ball after a while. The odd thing was she never has any abscesses, Thank God, and her titer was low. they said she could have been vaccinated. I was not willing to bet the rest of my heard on it so I chose to put her down. The rest of my herd is neg/neg.

I pray you have much better results than I did. but I was told not to worry about it as lumps were common in precocious does.

13. MF-Alpines

MF-Alpines New Member

You "read that", as in, from a published paper or you "read that" on some foo-foo forum? Sorry, don't mean to be unfriendly, but if you read here, do a search on CAE and read the threads, yes, thread after thread, it will take days or weeks, but you will get an education and a real knowledge of CAE and it's symptoms, testing protocols and heartbreak.

TEST YOUR DOES! TEST YOUR INCOMING STOCK!!!

Just because a doe is asymptomatic DOES NOT MEAN that she is not CAE+. That's kind of like looking at someone and being able to tell if they are HIV+ or have cancer.

A doe with a CAE udder is ROCK HARD. No lumps, no nothing. Like trying to squeeze blood from a stone. Maybe a couple of squirts, but even they take effort.

CL tests are very unreliable. I had my first two goats tested. Negative. But something I picked up on here that Vicki said at one point (ok, probably more than once) is that stress will bring out CL and the stress of kidding could surely bring that out. So after testing my first two does for CL, I've decided against testing for that because of the inaccuracy of the test, but I do watch my herd all the time.

So back to the OP. I have a doe with a hard knot in her udder, near the teat, where the udder meets the teat. She does not have any clumps or strings or off-colored milk, nor does she have gel on CMT. I have sent her milk off for testing and it has been negative. I finally brought her to the vet to see what he thought, and he came up with nothing based on milk tests, etc. The only way we would really know is to take it out, but then you open that up (literally) to so many other issues that we (collectively) decided to leave it alone. It does not inhibit milk flow or quality.

Just my two cents (and some from experience).

14. AlaynaMay

AlaynaMay New Member

Thank you very much! I will test her ASAP, and my other two does too. The lump/knot is actually in the teat, about half-way down. I forgot to mention that one teat (the one with the lump) is smaller than the other, with is slightly bulbous and soft. Could this cause a problem? The rest of her udder is fine, milks out great, not hard or anything like that.

15. doublebowgoats

doublebowgoats New Member

Filling with milk is what encourages the teat and udder to enlarge and develop capacity so it could be that the side with the knot has not been able to develop as much as the other side, since it is hard to get the milk out.

16. AlaynaMay

AlaynaMay New Member

So I'm having the same problem with this knot/ lump in Mabel's teat again. It had loosened up a lot right before she kidded, but now I can't get any milk out of it at all. I called the very last night, but haven't heard back from her yet. Any suggestions as to what I can do?

17. lorit

lorit Senior Member

Did you ever test for CAE? Results? When did she freshen?

18. AlaynaMay

AlaynaMay New Member

Tested for CAE this week- she's negative as of Tuesday. She freshened very early Wednesday morning.

19. Re: Hard knot in teat- Any suggestions?

Could it be a clogged/swollen milk gland/duct?

20. AlaynaMay

AlaynaMay New Member

It feels like the canal is clogged. I got about two drops out this afternoon, but that's it. She's getting really tight. I'm going to keep massaging it, and try to get a vet out here tomorrow, or do something myself.