Goats won't eat alfalfa pellets

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Daniel Babcock, Jun 26, 2008.

1. Daniel Babcock

Daniel Babcock New Member

I can't get my doeling mini-manchas to eat a. pellets. I tried feeding it seperate and they completly ignored it. Then I tried mixing with their goat pellets. They picked through eating the goat pellets and ignoring the a. pellets. They get plenty of browse should I worry about them not eating the a. pellets? Should I force them to eat by not offering grain or goat pellets? The doelings are approx 4 months old.

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I leave them out 24/7 for babies they may just not be hungry enough to eat them kinda depends on how much grain you are giving I would guess also if you have alfalfa hay out they are not going to eat the pellets. personally I would rather they eat the alfalfa pellets rather than the grain and have raised kids (last year with no grain at all) just A pellets and grass hay they did well

3. paulaswrld

paulaswrld New Member

I found that if I had Alfalfa hay out they had NO interest in the pellets. I am not thrilled with the quality of my hay or the price and availability here in the land of Drought. I have found that if I go out in the AM and fill the feeders with pellets and nothing else, they gobble them down. Then about an hour or so later, I fill the hay feeders, most often there are still pellets left and then they just sorta nibble on them the rest of the day. By evening time, when I use the same feeders for grain they are generally empty.

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I can't remember how old your babies are but it takes them awhile my 2 and 3 mo olds are just starting to eat them.

5. Nancy

Nancy New Member

Sometimes it takes them a while to figure out that they're not so bad after all.

6. Daniel Babcock

Daniel Babcock New Member

Well, I have been providing too much other tasty stuff like nancy said it took them a couple of weeks to find out it is worth eating. I have to get rid of my premixed goat pellets (contains molasses) once I am rid of that feeding the pelleted alfalfa will be much easier.