Goats dying

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Bilrite Farms, Aug 25, 2008.

1. Bilrite Farms

Bilrite Farms New Member

This is not for me...

A goat acquaintance has lost several goats recently that they had gotten from us last October.

These are the symptoms:
    Stopped eating, not interested in food, even good alfalfa hay, loose stools right
    before they died. However they went goofy over tree bark, expecially evergreen
    tree bark that was in their pasture.

Kids they raised and other pen mates are doing well as is a 10 year old buck that
    is in with the herd.

Wormed with positive pellet in April and end of July.
    No CD/T vaccinations since we have sold them.
    Mineral is an all purpose tub type mineral.
    2 acre pasture fenced with cattle panel and 2 places
    where they are watered.

One last thing they mentioned... they got into the garden and
    ate all the onions, tops and bulbs, green beans and also
    the potato and pepper plants, leaves but left the stems.
    This was about a 7-10 days before they started to lose goats.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
    Trisha

2. MRFBarbara

MRFBarbara Guest

Potato plant leaves are toxic, as is rubarb... I don't know about the pepper plants or onions..
    Barbara

3. Bilrite Farms

Bilrite Farms New Member

Thanks Barbara: I was thinking the potato leaves too but I didn't know the symptoms and was wondering what others thought.

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

onions in large amounts also toxic and just the notion of eating all this stuff yep that is what did it I would bet.

5. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Mineral is an all purpose tub type mineral.

Is it a mineral or is it protein lick? Does it contain urea? The first symptom of uric posioning is death.

Also have the fecaled to see if this wormer is adequate.

Are they necropsying one of the ones who died to save the rest of the herd?

It would not take 7 to 10 days for an outing in the garden to kill them. Vicki

6. Bilrite Farms

Bilrite Farms New Member

Thanks Vicki:

I will mention that to them also.

Trisha

7. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

If they had gotten poisoned by the plants in the garden it would have shown up like the next day not 7-10 days later. I would get a fecal sample up to the vet asap. I bet they need to be dewormed with Cydectin a few times. Have they been getting lots of rain?

8. Sondra

Sondra New Member

OK well I have to disagree on the amount of time it takes to poison the goats from onions. But if thier wormer didn't work it would also compromise their systems and lower any resistance they had. Already being anemic from blood sucking worms the onions would just put them over the top. SO get those fecals done.

Feeding cull onions (Allium cepa) to livestock is practised in onion growing regions around the world. While sheep are able to tolerate onions in their diet, cattle are susceptible to toxicity. Onion poisoning has recently been reported in dairy cows in New Zealand (Carbery, 1999). Given the recent seasonal abundance of onions available for feeding to stock, it seems timely to draw attention to this syndrome. Onions are known to be toxic to many species including humans, cattle, horses, sheep, goats, dogs and cats. Recent studies have shown that more than one toxin is involved. Onions and other plants of the Allium family, such as garlic and leeks, contain n-propyl disulphide, and S-methyl and S-propenylcysteine sulphoxides (SMCO and SPCO) that may be broken down into various sulphides. SMCO and SPCO have a stronger haemolytic capability than n-propyl disulphide. However, all three disulphides have been associated with methaemoglobinaemia and haemolytic anaemia with Heinz body formation. Animals given free access to onions with other feed sources may prefer the onions and ingest toxic amounts. The severity of toxicosis depends on the animal species and the quantity of onions ingested. Not all onions contain the same amounts of n-propyl disulphide, SPCO and SMCO. Mild varieties of onions probably contain lower levels of disulphides, as flavour, pungency and odour are associated with the amount of SMCO and SPCO and their degradation products contained. Livestock species most susceptible to poisoning, in decreasing order are…
    Keywords: Livestock; Poisoning - plant; Toxicology

Document Type: Regular paper

9. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Cool Sondra, never read it like that before. We have wild onions, likely scallions out in the woods, I do know the girls eat them. I know someone else on here has goats who always have anemia in their eye membranes even though they are perfectly clear on fecal and are healthy...wonder if this is just a mild case of the anemia from these? Vicki

10. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Could be but dont' know that for sure. Guess would be that if they are eating a lot of them then yes.

11. MRFBarbara

MRFBarbara Guest

thank you Sondra, this is very interesting, I knew about the onions with dogs, but did not know about garlic.. I give my dog garlic toast, and i won't anymore.
    Barbara

12. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

And have you ever read on those dog sites where people feed garlic to their dogs to prevent fleas? I've never heard of this happening before. WOW. Good info Sondra.

13. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Garlic does not affect animals as much as the onions