Goat Polio & Dexamethasone

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by punchiepal, Sep 7, 2012.

1. punchiepal

punchiepal Member

Can't find via search-
    Goatkeeping 101 lists dex for polio but not how many mg per # or how often
    Can't find anything but posts that say 4.5 cc or 5 cc. Per 100# per 24 hrs?
    Help please.
    Thanks!

2. Caprine Beings

Caprine Beings New Member

Generally dexamethasone is 1 cc per 100 #. I do know that when you are dealing with serious accidents the vet will administer more.
    Goat polio is dealt with Thiamine or B-complex, B-Complex is used more often as it is more readily available. You will want to give Thiamine or B-Complex intramuscular, both take a formula to get the accurate dosage for your animal.
    See this for formula:
    http://www.dairygoatinfo.com/index.php?topic=66.msg152#msg152

You can use both together, giving the Thiamine IM while giving the B-Complex sub-q.
    Tam

3. punchiepal

punchiepal Member

Thanks Tammy.
    Got the B info just couldn't find specifics on dex.
    However, even more confusing now is that my vet wrote dex 2mg and 1cc/50# on the bottle I had gotten this spring.

4. KJFarm

KJFarm Senior Member

I had a buck come down with Polio a couple of years back. I gave him 5cc of Dexamethasone - 1 time a day, for 3 days. It is given to reduce brain swelling. I used FORTIFIED B-Complex only on him and gave him 5cc 2-3 times per day, and he had Naxcel for 5 days. I started backing down on the dosage of B-Complex only when I knew his vision had returned, he wasn't unsteady on his feet anymore, and his appetite was returning. He was given no grain - just baking soda, small amounts of Alfalfa, browse and grass hay. This buck when not in rut, weighs over 200#.

5. fmg

fmg New Member

Dexamethasone comes in two different concentrations-2mg/ml and 4mg/ml, so maybe yours is a different concentration than the one Tammy referred to.

6. Caprine Beings

Caprine Beings New Member

Yep mine is 4 mg