goat died

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Patty13637, May 25, 2009.

1. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

I lost a doe a day after kidding. I thought we were dealing with a calcium issue. She was getting treated every 2 hours and even every hour when she was not improving . Her temp only dropped to 100.5 before she died.

We cut her open this a.m. saved part of her liver to be sent out. No worms which I was happy about. I was hoping to find a pool of blood so at least I knew I did not miss anything ...but no such luck. I did however find dozens of large blood clots in the uterus , could this have been the problem?

Thanks , Patty

2. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

Forgot to mention her bag was purple.

3. Terry

Terry New Member

Sorry for you loss Patty.

4. mamatomany

mamatomany New Member

Aww sorry about your doe...sad...I hope you have enough milk for her babies. Not much help with the clotting and coloration issues, but I hope you figure out what went wrong for future.

5. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

Thanks , I have 10 in milk so thats not a problem. I just need to figure out the reason. I hardly ever loose an animal and this is bugging me. She went down in the a.m. and dead by dinner.

thanks again, Patty

6. Sondra

Sondra New Member

OH am so sorry Patty

7. Theresa

Theresa New Member

Sorry you lost the doe.
    Theresa

8. MRFBarbara

MRFBarbara Guest

Sorry you lost your Doe Patty, bugs me too when I don't know why because I think that I did not do enough for them to help them.. Eats at me for a while
    Barb

9. jason t.

jason t. New Member

Sorry to hear about your Doe. Please keep us informed if you get results or figure anything out. When you said calcium issue did you mean hypocalcimia? (think i spelled that wrong) and why are you looking for a pool of blood? I am sorry for all the questions we are pretty new to this. we got our does at a week old and now they have kids 8 weeks old. so i am sucking up as much info as possible, as i feel at a loss most of the time. i did not realize raising goat was up there with rocket science. sure am glad raising my 3 year old son is not as hard...Yet...

10. Bernice

Bernice New Member

Sorry to hear you lost her Patty.

When she delivered, did she present normally or were there problems?

11. dragonlair

dragonlair New Member

From what I have seen a couple of times, the clots are normal in a newly delivered uterus.

Was the udder purple before she died? Could she have had gangreen in it and the toxins overwhelmed her system?

12. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

The first buckling was coming out when I got there , 1 leg back . As I was cleaning him ....not more than 2 mins later I heard her moan and buckling 2 was coming out the same way .

Yes her udder was purple in the a.m. when she first went down. No fever , so I do not think it was gangreen.

I was looking for pulled blood to see if she tore.

Yes hypo is what I think was the problem so I started with calcium..

Patty

13. Bella Star

Bella Star New Member

:down sorry for your loss.

I have a doe that has a normal natural purple udder and it gets brighter when in milk.

14. shawhee

shawhee New Member

So sorry Patty :down

15. Old McDonald

Old McDonald New Member

I'm sorry for your loss.

16. Caprine Beings

Caprine Beings New Member

Sending hugs. Tammy

17. catdance62

catdance62 New Member

Oh gosh that is so hard, when you dont' know why. I am sad for your loss too.

18. buckrun

buckrun New Member

Patty

Calcium issues that I have experienced take longer to kill than one day.
    Maybe the clots were evidence of the uterine artery rupturing ?
    Sure sorry you had to go thru that loss.
    Lee

19. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

A uterine artery rupture would show in blood flooding out of the vagina, blood pooled in the uterus and vagina, or pooled in the abdomen depending upon if the artery bled into the uterus or on the outside (I have had one on the outside, so only when I cut her open did I see all the blood in her abdomen.

They also have ghastly white membranes and organs when you cut them open, but you could not have missed all the pooled blood somewhere.

I agree with Sully on the udder issue, she likely went toxic, the fever was gone by the time you took it because she was dieing, a subnormal temp is part of the death process. Had you had problems with her an mastitis previously?

Clots in the uterus are normal, part of the normal lochia she would have passed over the next week or so.

20. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

Her udder was normal on the day of delivery . Her coustrum was also normal. She never had mastitis in her life. There was no signs of infection when we cut her open .

Ok glad to know the clotting was normal but try to help me understand more.

thanks , Patty