Dehydrating ?

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by Bella Star, Jun 23, 2012.

1. Bella Star

Bella Star New Member

Do you add a moisture absorb packet to your dehydrated food before sealing bag or jar ?? If so where do you get the packets ?

I am wanting to dehydrate some peaches,
    THANKS !

2. Caprine Beings

Caprine Beings New Member

I do not use them in my jars or bags. But I do look through them all quite often. I do not live in such a humid area as you. Now your food sealers are best only problem with them are is that you open it amd it can degrade faster and you have no way of closing it back up again.
    With Baggie I try to make sure all the air is out and then it goes into its holding box and covered up again. Humidity, light and temperature deplete dried or dehydrated foods. You can store herbs and such in small quantities in baggies and put in a gallon or half gallon jar, seal, and then place in a basement or a box. I have a friend that paints her jars and keeps them in her dark pantry.
    Tam

3. swgoats

swgoats New Member

I've read about oven canning dry goods. Might that work? I've decided Idon't want to can this year. I canned so much last year we still have alot. I was thinking to try dehydrating instead.

4. Ashley

Ashley New Member

Dehydrating, yea that's what we're doing.. outside, everywhere... It's sad when you're hoping for some hurricane leavings this early in the year!

5. adillenal

adillenal New Member

My dehydrator is full of zucchini chips as we speak. They will get eaten so fast I don't have to worry about the moisture absorbers. BUT the only other things I have dried, I didn't use them. I keep the jerky in the freezer though.

6. feistymomma

feistymomma New Member

I am storing mine in jars and then using a vacuum sealer for standard canning jars to se all it. They all go into the cabinet in my pantry so they are in the dark. I haven't had a moisture issue thus far.

7. Bella Star

Bella Star New Member

Sounds good, I can always eat the stuff up ,if it is not crispy. I would have to order those packets anyway. The Utube videos are good. There is only so much peach jam I can make and we all eat so I am going to dehydrate them for pies and muffins.
    THANKS GANG !

8. swgoats

swgoats New Member

I'm with you on the fruit. Plus when you make jam, it has so much sugar unless you do the no sugar versions. I like the idea of dehydrating so it is preserved without added sugar and more versatile.

9. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Make fruit leather! I did my first dehydrated yogurt with strawberries in it, called fruit plops, they are excellent. Between Lee and the dehydrator gals on facebook, you can dehydrate everything.
    Vicki

10. Bella Star

Bella Star New Member

:duh THANKS Vicki ! I never even thought about Peach leather but I just know my gkids will love it !! The Yogurt & strawberries sound heavenly !! So you make a thick yogurt with strawberries and then just dry it ? Ghee I can use up the milk and also the peaches at the same time :D and it's really good for the ((9)) kids :crazy over at my sons for the summer and they are always hungry !
    I did get help with my chicken pen raked and picked up today and help with mowing ;) it cost me coffee lattes and lunch tho.

11. NubianSoaps.com

The kids were making it in plops, like cookie size. If you are on FB I could send you the link to the dehydrating site, they are whizs!

12. danielsumner

danielsumner New Member

I want to know what the FB site is. I bought an Excalibur 9 tray with timer. I've been drying everything in sight.

13. NubianSoaps.com

I will link it to you Daniel. Vicki