Barn Set Up

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by swgoats, Jan 22, 2012.

1. swgoats

swgoats New Member

2. dragonlair

dragonlair New Member

Wow, what a nice set up! I'm drooling here!

I'm still in the process of building my barn. The roof and most of the walls and stalls are there, but the doors, windowns and walls around the doors are missing. The contractor decided he wouldn't work in the cold, so my friend and I are working on it on my day off.

3. MRFBarbara

MRFBarbara Guest

Nice barn and nice healthy goats...

4. IndyGardenGal

IndyGardenGal New Member

That's a nice set up, and I love the lean-to additions. We're building another barn, which will hopefully be completed by Tuesday. We are hoping to plant the back 3-4 acres we have in alfalfa hay, but we need to find someone to bale it this year until we can acquire our own hay equipment.

5. swgoats

swgoats New Member

Thanks, I wish you all the barn of your dreams! I feel the responsibility to make good use of my resources here. Got to live up to my barn :)

6. doublebowgoats

doublebowgoats New Member

Wonderful set-up! Thanks for posting this. It is really helpful to see what other folks have. And although I like my calf huts and plywood-covered pole barn (not!) I am looking for something new and improved!

7. Trysta

Trysta New Member

So nice, that is a great set up! I have a barn kind of like that, but no lean to. That looks very handy! I would have to cut holes for doors in the side of the barn that has no walk-out now, and I really don't want to do that, since it's a bit risky it would get too cold in the barn during winter/spring kidding season (if we have a real winter, that is, unlike this year...)

You could use one of the concrete pads in your big barn for a dairy/parlor. That's what I did. We poured a slab of concrete in one corner and enclosed it. It does take away barn space, but it's very convenient and I really love how it's working for me. I have a metal 10 stands parlor that sits on top of the concrete.

Best of luck with your new barn!!!

8. swgoats

swgoats New Member

That's a great idea Trysta! That makes perfect sense.

9. Laverne

Laverne New Member

Really nice! I would call that a goat palace. I put up lean to's in front of my shed row and I love them. Nice and airey where they hang out mostly.

10. fmg

fmg New Member

I think the thing you are using for compost maybe was some kind of cattle or horse feeder? OR, maybe it was a compost spot! lol.

Marion-Have you thought of using a dog door, one that's for the giant breeds of dogs? You would have to train the goats to use it, but I bet they would get the hang of it fast. I know someone that had cheap carpet hanging on doorways as flaps to block the wind. I'm pretty sure my goats would chew/eat it if i did that though.

11. Trysta

Trysta New Member

Nancy, I have some small gates for the in and out-ramp of my parlor. My father in law made them and they work perfectly. That way I can control incoming and outgoing 'traffic' myself. When it's really cold, I have a piece of insulation material made to exactly fit behind the in- and out-gate so I can keep my parlor warmer when not milking. We just added that feature (had a pipe freeze...). And yes, my goats would chew on anything chewable! But they can't get to the gates when I'm not milking, since the holding area and the return alley are off limits to them other than at milking time!