AU Grazer- Serica Lespedeza

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by buckrun, Sep 21, 2010.

1. buckrun

buckrun New Member

Wondering if anyone found a place to buy less than 50 pounds of seed?
    Would like to add it to our fall planting while the ground is open since you do need to prepare a seed bed.
    Any info welcome.
    Lee

2. Ashley

Ashley New Member

Do you have any growing near, considered picking it? I know you wouldn't get a whole lot that way, but enough to get it started. I picked a bunch last year but didn't plant it. Got a little nervous it might take over. But I've changed my mind. I'm going to plant some. If you don't have any around, the stuff near my home is budding out and I'd be glad to get you some seed. Of course, it may not be the strain you are wanting. But it seems to grow well and the goats love it!

3. buckrun

buckrun New Member

That is a very kind offer Ashley! I also can go harvest on a farm near here who has it naturalized. I just wanted to try the improved grazer type that is more palatable as a forage plant. They have selected for less woody growth. I should get lots of strains going really to see what is hardy and what is yummy too. Let me know how it does for you and how hard it is to establish.

4. Ashley

Ashley New Member

Will do. I know palatability is no problem! They will knock me over when they see me coming with it and when I put it in the feeder, they grumble at each other and attack it until it's gone lol. Might as well be alfalfa hay.

5. Hollybrook

Hollybrook New Member

Approximatly how much are you looking for Lee, I know some people up at AU that I could ask.

Dave

6. Holly Govero

Holly Govero New Member

I wish that I can plant the serica lespedeza. But I dont know if it is okay for me to use it in MO. How am I suppose to know?? I am tired of my pastures being soo stemmy and my goats wont eat those stuff much. I am tired of it.

7. Ashley

Ashley New Member

No reason not to use it in MO that I know of Holly.

8. buckrun

buckrun New Member

Some states ban it as an invasive weed but I don't know which species or if it is all of them.
    Kansas bans hairy les but you would have to ask your county agent or usdag rep about status on that.
    There are several improved varieties but AU Grazer will tolerate defoliation and has root knot nematode resistance. The 50 pound bag was 400.00 at Seedland!!!

Dave that is very kind. Let me know what you find out. I thought maybe one of us interested parties could get a bag and distribute smaller amts by mail but it goes a long way and would have to have commitment for the whole 50 pounds to make it work - 20 pounds per acre is recommended use and we are just doing a small plot maybe 1/3rd acre of mixed perennials because you do have to prepare a seedbed- it cannot be overseeded. So I would like to work with maybe 4 or 5 pounds since it will not be the only thing seeded. Thanks for that offer.

Maybe Tim found a place to buy less than 50 pounds and he will let us know.

9. Holly Govero

Holly Govero New Member

Thank you guys.. I didnt meant to hijack the thread. I need someone to point me out which seeds should I plot for the winter.. Becuz i dont like what my pasture been doing for couple of years. It is so stemmy and the goats wont even touch it and even the cows too. I give up. I wanna do something differently.. Let me know. Thanks!!

10. Rose

Rose New Member

It's ok to plant in Missouri.

11. Ziggy

Ziggy Buck

I think the seed is a little cheaper if you buy it direct from Sims Brothers. I looked into it last year but never got around to ordering.

I am planning on trying to plant a couple of acres in spring.

http://simsbrothers.com/ourProducts.htm

12. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Anybody want to split up a 50 pound bag? We could ship it to each other in flat rate boxes? I would take some also Lee if you want to do it...find out how much it costs and I will send you payment for 10 pounds? That way you aren't stuck with it and then nobody wants the rest if we pay ahead of time. Vicki

13. hsmomof4

hsmomof4 New Member

I would probably be interested in some, too.

14. Sharpgoat

Sharpgoat New Member

I would love to get some seed for a test plot. :yes
    Fran

15. buckrun

buckrun New Member

Ok let me get more info on pricing and shipping and we will start a list of who and how much. We are about to start 2 back to back festivals so I will have to do it in between being gone. I have a note in to Sims and they are good about answering quickly.
    Vicki if you hear from Tim ask him if he still needs seed or got some and where ok?
    Thanks
    Lee

16. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I will email him. Just flat rate ship it so we pay $11 for the medium box or $14 for the large box. Vicki

17. hsmomof4

hsmomof4 New Member

Oh, nevermind. The sericea lespedeza is illegal here. The kind in the 5 lb bags is a different variety of lespedeza...the sericea is all 50 lb bags. It is illegal for use in KS and CO. I guess that means it's ok everywhere else.

18. Lynn_Theesfeld

Lynn_Theesfeld New Member

I would also be interesting in splitting some :)

Lynn

19. Hollybrook

Hollybrook New Member

Ellie its not the same AU Grazer withstands grazing and haying pressure better than other varieties and its cheaper.

Dave