American vs Purebred

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Ravens Haven, Mar 23, 2008.

1. Ravens Haven

Ravens Haven New Member

Hi all,

I need some input on this situation; Only from a milking stand point no show opinions, just want milk production, assuming all other aspects are exactly the same:
    6 Purebred Saanen milkers $1200 or 4 American Saanen milkers $1200, which the best deal? They are all healthy, disease free, productive milkers.

Is Purebred better than American or the other way around?

Thanks
    Autumn

2. eliya

eliya New Member

I would say look at the does. It depends on the individual animal. Ask the seller for milk records or at least approximates on what each doe gives. People often ask more for purebreds.

3. Sondra

Sondra New Member

yep milk records and history of parents do they hold up for years and years of milking. etc.

4. goatkid

goatkid New Member

Usually, purebreds sell for more than Americans. This doesn't mean they are better goats either on the milk stand or in the show ring. I had an American Saanen who easily beat purebreds in the ring and put lots of milk in the bucket. Her half sister, belonging to a friend is the same way. If the health on both groups is equal, I'd look at udder attachment, ease of milking and what their production is in terms of deciding which group to buy. Kathie

5. wheytogosaanens

wheytogosaanens New Member

What reason does the breeder/seller give for the price difference?

6. Sondra

Sondra New Member

are both groups from the same seller?

7. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

I need to raise my prices I have more people wanting does than I have to sell.

I would ask lots of questions . Purbred usually sell for more in my area. I would take in which goats I like style wise and milk reccords .

Patty

8. Ravens Haven

Ravens Haven New Member

Nope these goats are from two different sellers, one here in GA and one in NC. Thanks for the info ladies...

Autumn

9. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

:biggrin Actually, that is a breeder's preference. I don't believe there is such a stigma with Americans in the Swiss breeds as there is in Nubians. I USED to be a dyed in the wool...PUREBRED Togg breeder. Couldn't give me an American...then Sun-Kissed Madam Razz-AT hit the scene! WOW Now, I have American Toggs to incorporate the improvements to the breed and go back with a Purebred buck every so often to keep head/ears/color true.
    I for one don't really care what letter designation is in front of O,S,T....just conformation.
    Kaye

10. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

Look at the individual animals.

Personally, I like American Saanens.

Sara

11. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

Not with Alpines. IMO there are some absolutely amazing Americans out there....I haven't seen quite as good Purebreds. At least not in this area. Here I would say they are equal in value. Unless you are strictly trying for a French herd, they are interchangeable.

12. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Although not quite the snobs as Nubian breeders, the French Alpine crowd is just as elite. Prices for purebred bucks even in Alpine are still higher than American. Vicki