After kidding, how long til first heat?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by supermom, Jan 10, 2011.

1. supermom

supermom New Member

Just wondering how soon they can get pregnant after kidding if they are a breed which cycles year round.
    Thanks!

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Here a doe who kids during seasons where she normally would have heat will cycle 8 weeks later, even if she kids in Jan or Feb. A doe who did not just kid, rarely will come into a normal heat in March/April here.

3. supermom

supermom New Member

I have a doe who kidded 20 days ago. I thought it was still safe so I allowed the buck to be in her pen because I had to separate the bucks for a few days due to a visiting doe here to breed with the other buck. When I went out last night, he was following her around and it looks like she has a semen discharge! I think I better do a pg test on her in 30 days. She is 1/2 Nigie.

4. Aja-Sammati

Aja-Sammati New Member

Some of my does cycle about 3 weeks after kidding... I've never tested if it is a real cycle or not.

5. supermom

supermom New Member

I, of course, put the buck back in his pen when I noticed because I have other does who just kidded, but I think it may be too late for the one doe. Today, another doe who kidded 3 weeks ago is flagging at the buck pen. It must be a Mini-thing!

6. Jryan

Jryan New Member

When I had pygmies, they would cycle again 15-45 days after kidding.

7. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

In heat 15 days after kidding and is she ovulating? We rebred our does at 8 weeks, so I know it was a true heat.

8. Jryan

Jryan New Member

Don't have them anymore. Can only say that our first doe had a baby 6 months after kidding with her first baby. After that, we started keeping them a little more separate.

9. supermom

supermom New Member

It's been 20 and 21 days, not 15, but I have no idea if she is actually ovulating. I kinda hope not since it looks like the deed was done.