Dairy Goat Info Forum > General Category > Gardening > Gardening in SouthWest Oregon

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2011, 10:15 PM   #1
tmfinley

Liked 20 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default Gardening in SouthWest Oregon

Specifically Bandon, Oregon. I have only lived in Texas, Arkansas and Iowa so nowhere close to a coast or the Pacific Northwest, or California or any of that. We are considering a move. Gardening there makes me nervous because I don't know anything about it. When does the real growing season start? It seems like the high temps are in the 50s for most of the year and the lows in the 30s - 40s. How long is the growing season? Producing our own food is a definite must wherever we go, and I just don't have experience with that part of the country at all. Any ?

Tiffany Finley
Slapdash Farm
Elgin, Texas
www.my-goat-milk-soap.com
Alpines, Pigs, and Great Pyrs

Old 04-20-2011, 01:20 AM   #2
Jo~*

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Re: Gardening in SouthWest Oregon

Well lets see Bandon, that's just above Gold Beach isn't it? I live in Crescent City California that's just below the Oregon boarder right on the coast. Gold Beach is about 30 minutes from me. Your right on the low temps very rarely do we get under 30 at night. Daytime highs are in the high 50s for a good part of the year but in the summer mid to high 60s are pretty common. Rarely above low 70s. Most tomatoes need a greenhouse here on the coast but inland just a few miles its a different climate. We can grow things like green beans, squash, lettuce, beets, carrots, broccoli, most greens, onions, cucumbers, corn if the right kind other stuff to but cant think of them now. As for fruit strawberries, blueberries, apples, plumes, most berries, frost peach, these are the ones I have.
Growing season humm well we do have rain up until about May or so so its hard to get an early start on some of the stuff. But the rains don't start until about about November with January and February about the worst. Only tooken snow once in awhile.
Bandon is a Pretty area, lots nicer than here were I am IMHO.
If I can tell you anything else let me know. Oh ya they grow Cranberries in Bandon also.
JoAnn.

From extreme Northwest Calif.
LaMancha, Nubian.
JoAnn
HAPPY GOATS COME FROM CALIFORNIA

Old 04-20-2011, 05:26 PM   #3
tmfinley

Thank you so much JoAnn. After being in Texas 15 years it seems like I just got the hang of our 2 short seasons and now I 'll have to learn a new climate all over again. It seems to me Oregon should have a lot easier climate to garden in than Texas. We want to be inland a few miles (over the hills) so it will not be as cold or windy or so I've been told. So would you say the growing season is from May to October pretty much? We are in the middle of the worse drought on record here. Do you worry about too much rain? Is it possible to have ruined crops due to too much rain there? If you using a greenhouse could you grow all year long? Seems the temp. would be right for it.

On a side note, in the Frost Peach post you say your weather sucks. What don't you like about it? Is it just the lower temps? Rain?

Thanks again.

Tiffany Finley
Slapdash Farm
Elgin, Texas

Old 04-20-2011, 11:06 PM   #4
Jo~*

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I'm going to try and hook you up with a friend of mine that writes the garden column in our paper. Her name is Inez and shes lived her lots longer than me and has much more knollage of things you might like to know. Ill look up her email later this evening and PM you with it.
As far as my not liking our weather goes, well I don't mind the temps being not overly hot but I hate the gray skies that can go on for days on end. But just 10 miles east of me the weather is different as night and day. I'm guessing its that way inland of Bandon also. I live just a couple or maybe 3 miles from the ocean I can even hear the sealions sometimes. Its not like Southern California up here were the beach is sunny and warm. About 10 miles in from me it can be 90 or 100 degrees but be foggy and 60-65 here. I have gone horseback riding in Pistol River just a few miles from the ocean behind the hills and it was beautiful weather. Piston River is almost into Gold Beach.

Back at you later.
JoAnn

From extreme Northwest Calif.
LaMancha, Nubian.
JoAnn
HAPPY GOATS COME FROM CALIFORNIA

Old 04-22-2011, 12:41 AM   #5
Caprine Beings

Liked 193 Times on 118 Posts
Likes Given: 173

Alot odf your household herbs and spices grow well in those temperatures. My brother has had many herbs year long, I cannot for the life of me remember where in Southwestern Oregon he lives. His goats have green all year long and he brags about it to me...makes me sick when we're at 100 degrees in the summer. But he is going to be one of my herbal suppliers for comfrey Yes I grow it but need alot of it for various reasons...you can grow some massive comfrey there. He has nut trees and fruit trees. He says he only has problems March through May with flooding and mud.
Tam

Lindsey and Tammy Long
Alpines, Nigerian Dwarf, and Nubians
E-mail: caprinebeings@live.com
Facebook page: Caprine Beings Dairy Goats
http://caprinebeingsdairygoat.webs.com/
South Eastern Washington

You will turn over many a futile new leaf till you learn we must all write on scratched-out pages. ~Mignon McLaughlin, The Neurotic's Notebook, 1960

Old 04-22-2011, 02:06 AM   #6
tmfinley

Thanks Tammy. I think I am going to like gardening there a lot better than here in the desert we call Texas.

Tiffany Finley
Slapdash Farm
Elgin, Texas

Old 05-03-2011, 05:20 PM   #7
NWgoats

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

Gardening in Oregon is just as anywhere else, it has its own particular challenges.
This year the rain is just hanging on forever, we have had hard frosts clean up till
now and the slugs/snails are already eating everything. As wet as it is in winter,
we have dry summers (sometimes very dry) and hot periods. Two summers ago
we had a stretch of 100+ degree days (about 5) that just about fried everything
in the garden. I love my raised beds, but you have to water twice as often with
them.
Bandon is much further south than I am, so you will probably have better luck
with things such as tomatoes,peppers and corn. Six years and I still haven't
managed to get a decent crop of sweet corn. Just have to plant the right
varieties. We do have a really good local seed/plant supplier that specializes
in plants for Western Oregon. They have their own test fields so they know
whether what they sell will actually do well in our climate.

Good luck with your move. Other than the rain, mud and grey days, Oregon is
a nice place to live.

Not gardening related, but I tell you Western Oregon is one of the worst places
to raise goats. Selenium and copper deficient, crappy hay unless you have it shipped
in, parasites and hoof rot.

Saanen & Mini-Saanen
Michele

Old 05-09-2011, 04:03 PM   #8
tmfinley

Where are you from in Oregon Michele? Also, when you refer to crappy hay do you mean grass hay, alfalfa hay or both?

Tiffany Finley
Slapdash Farm
Elgin, Texas

Old 05-09-2011, 05:33 PM   #9
NWgoats

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

I am in pretty much the mid point of the Willamette Valley. North of Eugene and South of Salem.
But we are tucked up against the Eastern edge near the mountain range.

There is not much alfalfa grown near here because it doesn't really like the rain amounts that
we get. Our soils don't seem to agree with it either. If I want good alfalfa, I buy from a local
man who brings it in from Eastern Oregon. They grow very nice alfalfa hay in the Klamath Valley
area. The climate in Bandon is much warmer than ours, I don't know whether they would grow
alfalfa there or not. But being as Bandon is a dairy area, probably won't be hard to find some.

The grass hay around here is just that, grass. Most of it is just overgrown pasture grass that has
been baled up and sold as "hay". I do use it, mostly for my bucks and for before bedtime roughage
warmth production in winter. But to feed it as my sole hay, forget it. I am sure the goats would
survive, but I keep telling people that if you want to get decent production out of your goat, you
need to feed it decent food.

You may get to Bandon and find they have great hay. I have just been extremely disappointed
in the quality here.

Saanen & Mini-Saanen
Michele

Old 06-06-2011, 01:13 AM   #10
emeraldcowgirl

I'm in Klamath Falls and the high desert is VERY hard to garden in. We can't plant anything until after Memorial weekend or it might get frost on it. Every single year I gamble and plant in early May and every single year frost kills my plants.

*~* Christina *~*
Klamath Falls, OR
Owner of Nana and her three kids (all miniature goats)