Dairy Goat Info Forum > General Category > Soap Making > Sub for Rice Bran Oil

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2010, 05:37 PM   #1
nappint

Default Sub for Rice Bran Oil

Does anyone know of a good substitute for Rice Bran Oil? I only use a small amount in my recipe but it's hard to find around here and I don't really want to pay for the shipping from Columbus if I can just sub it for something similar and more readily available.

Thanks!

Judy
Grade A Dairy
Purebred LaManchas

Old 06-16-2010, 05:42 PM   #2
Lynn_Theesfeld

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Default Re: Sub for Rice Bran Oil

On the soap forum I was on a lady wanted to know a sub for Rice bran Oil and everyone said Olive oil, I would think it goes both ways - have you tried a feed store to get it? you will end up paying more for it though.

Lynn Theesfeld
Purebred Nubian Dairy Goats
As well as Handmade Goats Milk Soaps
www.theesfelds.webs.com

Old 06-16-2010, 05:48 PM   #3
nappint

Thanks Lynn - I haven't tried the feed store, didn't even think about that. I'll check the next time I'm there.

I did go to the restaurant supply place yesterday in Ft. Worth (someone here posted about it a few weeks back) and while I was astonished at all the awesome food, fruits, veggies, meat, cheese and yummies they had I was a bit disappointed in their oil stock - mainly canola and fry oil (soybean). I was really hoping to get some rice bran and palm So now I think I'm going to have to tweak my recipe. Olive is easy to get and I'm sure a little more olive won't hurt a thing

Judy
Grade A Dairy
Purebred LaManchas

Old 06-16-2010, 06:02 PM   #4
Kalne

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Olive....I purchased pomace olive at the KC store and it was cheaper than I was paying for Rice Bran or any other liquid oil. And the coconut oil I got from them came from.....Columbus! I'm going to see if they will order the palm for me and at what price.

Kathy
Nubian and Kinder dairy goats
www.LomahAcres.com

Old 06-16-2010, 08:05 PM   #5
nappint

That's funny about the Coconut oil . I love the oils I get from Columbus not to mention it's convenient and they ship fast but I usually end up paying an extra .45 per pound for shipping

I have a question on the pomace oil - I've read that some soapers say that the pomace causes faster trace and is not as easy to work with as the Grade A. Have you had that problem? Also, does it discolor your soap in higher amounts? Thanks!

Judy
Grade A Dairy
Purebred LaManchas

Old 06-16-2010, 08:11 PM   #6
hsmomof4
DGI_MODERATOR.png

Liked 176 Times on 126 Posts
Likes Given: 88

Ok, Kathy, you came down here and you didn't visit. What's up with that? But if they will order the palm for you from Columbus, let me know, because I'd get some, too.

Stacey Johnson
The Little Flower Farm
www.kansasgoatmilksoap.com
NE Kansas

un-Kinders and Nubians

Old 06-16-2010, 08:31 PM   #7
NubianSoaps.com

Liked 334 Times on 193 Posts
Likes Given: 211

Ask yourself what is the rice bran oil adding to my soap recipe. Make sure when paying higher prices for anything, that gets saped by lye, that the actual benefits exsist, that it isn't just because it's a recipe. Not alot of difference in soap between oils. And it's not as if rice bran oil is label appeal. Vicki

Vicki McGaugh
North of Houston Texas
www.Nubiansoaps.com retail, wholesale and naked for you to wrap and resell.

For sale: Lonesome Doe herd name with ADGA, .com, logo, Facebook page etc.... contact me for details.

Old 06-17-2010, 02:59 PM   #8
Kalne

Oh Stacey, I'm sorry.....we just went on a whim. It was a rainy day and dh was off. I had asked him to pick up lye for me in Omaha and he said why don't we just go to KC? So we did! The savings on the lye was enough to pay for the gas. That store is fabulous though. But I got someone else's coconut oil. I didn't know you had to order it and it was on the shelf so I took the two pails that were out. The person who ordered it came in to pick it up while I was there and dh said she kept eyeing my cart. I had no idea until the manager talked with me and told me I should order two weeks in advance next time. She didn't ask for it and it wasn't until we left that I put two and two together. Oh well.

When I started making soap I used RBO because it was available at half the current price. It was a good oil at a good price. It's not that way anymore and I have dropped it.

I don't notice much of a difference in color though I think too much RBO makes the soap darker more so than olive. My recipe already traces pretty quick and I often don't even use a SB. But I've just started dropping my other liquid oils in some of my batches to get a feel for using all olive and I think it's going to work out fine. With the savings....I'll find a way to make it work. LOL

Kathy
www.LomahAcres.com

Old 06-19-2010, 07:38 PM   #9
hsmomof4
DGI_MODERATOR.png

Liked 176 Times on 126 Posts
Likes Given: 88

Hmmm on the coconut. I got some a week or two ago and didn't order in advance. Just grabbed a pail and no one said a word. Oh, except for the guy who worked there who helped me find it when I walked past it and didn't see it!

Stacey Johnson
The Little Flower Farm
www.kansasgoatmilksoap.com
NE Kansas

un-Kinders and Nubians

Old 06-19-2010, 10:13 PM   #10
Kalne

Well....maybe enough people are buying it now for them to keep it in stock. That's good to know!

Kathy
www.LomahAcres.com