Dairy Goat Info Forum > General Category > Dairy Goat Info > Worming goats?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2012, 08:15 PM   #1
SANDQ

Liked 86 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Worming goats?

Ive been reading in another thread about worming goats. Here In Bulgaria, about the only available " vaccine " or preventative medicine if you like, is worming tablets. When should I give these to adults and kids, also what vitamins etc should I give to new borns? Im not saying I can get hold of them but I would like to know. In fact on the whole what should my goats be getting in the way of a preventative medicine package. No point asking the vets here they look at you as though you are mad!!

SALLY AND QUENTIN, English couple living in Bulgaria . We have a small herd of goats, and we produce a range of dairy products for sale. You can find us at www.facebook.com/cherrytreegoats
Owners of the motley crew; 4 Anglo Nubian does 1 Anglo Nubian buck, 1 Bulgarian White Dairy buck ( basically a Saanen ) 1, 75% BWD buck, 8 cross bred BWD/local breed does and 5 local breed does.

Old 01-04-2012, 09:17 PM   #2
tlcnubians

Liked 85 Times on 56 Posts

Default Re: Worming goats?

It would be interesting to know what the chemical(s) are in these tablets. Although you really don't need to deworm your goats unless they need it. You should learn how to do fecal testing to see if your goats actually have parasites and learn what each of the different parasites' eggs look like under a microscope. Karin Christiansen has some excellent information on her website, www.goatbiology.com. Caroline

www.tlc-farms.com
www.tlc-farms.com/soap.htm

Purebred and American Nubians that show and milk. Handcrafted goat milk soaps and lotions.

Old 01-04-2012, 09:33 PM   #3
buckrun

Liked 226 Times on 111 Posts
Likes Given: 149

Would you be able to get someone to send you some real supplies from somewhere else?
You must need wormer and coccidistats at least ?

Do you know the active ingredient in the tabs?
The chems we use here are not vaccines or preventative but anthelmentic.
They kill certain stages of certain parasites. You must know what you are fighting to know what to use.
Are you saying there is no organized parasite control in agricultural settings?
Wow you could become a zillionaire if you could hook up with a supplier.

Lee

New Rocky Comfort Nubians
Don and Lee Jackson
Foreman Arkansas
buckrun@whti.net
Follow us on Facebook www.facebook.com/buckrunpottery

Old 01-04-2012, 10:06 PM   #4
SANDQ

I appreciate my terminology was not correct hence the " so to speak " I would love and need to know more, I mean I am not totally ignorant Ive been working with dairy cows most of my life, but recently swapped to farming goats. The local " vet's " dont know what they are talking about, Perhaps thats unfair, they are NOT educated in modern farming practises or any for that matter. 1 classic example; my cat had a urinary infection I took her to the local vet was given antibiotics for her, it didnt clear up. So I had to take her miles to a vet that I knew was reliable, only to be told the antibiotic prescribed was for teeth and gum problems! So the family joke now is, what ever is wrong with your animal, turn it round the other way and the vet might get it right!! This is what we are faced with here.
What I am saying is there is no organized control of anything here, because they are not that modern, they dont see the need for it, and even if they did and it was available no one could afford it. Hence turning to you guys, you cannot belive how frustating it is, for some-one grown up on a farm, gone to agricultural college, who knows the importance of all of these things, to be faced with this problem.

SALLY AND QUENTIN, English couple living in Bulgaria . We have a small herd of goats, and we produce a range of dairy products for sale. You can find us at www.facebook.com/cherrytreegoats
Owners of the motley crew; 4 Anglo Nubian does 1 Anglo Nubian buck, 1 Bulgarian White Dairy buck ( basically a Saanen ) 1, 75% BWD buck, 8 cross bred BWD/local breed does and 5 local breed does.

Old 01-04-2012, 10:08 PM   #5
KJFarm

Liked 106 Times on 62 Posts

Do you know what types of worms are prevalant in you location? Do you know if Coccidiosis is a problem there? Any treatment will depend on what you are dealing with in your area. You will need to learn to do fecal samples, if you don't have any help elsewhere.

Raising Dairy Goats Since 1958

GOAT'S MILK.....NOT JUST FOR KIDS!!

Old 01-04-2012, 10:13 PM   #6
buckrun

So can you access supplies or would you like someone to send you some?
Can you get a vet to run a fecal once it warms up and parasites are active so you can ID what you need to kill?
Let us know if we can help.
Lee

Don and Lee Jackson
Foreman Arkansas
buckrun@whti.net

Old 01-04-2012, 10:23 PM   #7
SANDQ

Much appreciated!! I will " try" to look into it. Addressing the other subject of vitamin injections vaccinations etc, can you give me a plan of what needs to be given when, from birth onwards, if Im armed with the information, I stand a better chance. Im presuming that goat care is not that different from cow care

Old 01-04-2012, 11:15 PM   #8
buckrun

Check in the section From Birth To Kidding.
Pretty well lays it out!
http://www.dairygoatinfo.com/index.php?topic=2077.0

Don and Lee Jackson
Foreman Arkansas
buckrun@whti.net

Old 01-04-2012, 11:29 PM   #9
SANDQ

Thanks exactly what Im looking for!

Old 01-05-2012, 07:17 AM   #10
NubianSoaps.com

Liked 337 Times on 195 Posts
Likes Given: 211

And Quentin, goats in the USA are considered off label, there is very little knowledge learned in vet school about small ruminants. Just yesterday a gal called me in tears, the vet at Texas A&M (a teaching university that actually has a working dairy, working meat goat herds etc.) was helping her with her does and giving her the old song and dance about taking their alfalfa away, only to cause them to have no ability to push out kids, they didn't go into labor and nearly a week late she manually dialated one and luted the others, saved the kids with calcium gluconate injected during labor and afterward, and getting them onto calicum via alfalfa. So we share your pain about VETS!!! The best vets have already been taught by us. Vicki

Vicki McGaugh
North of Houston Texas
www.Nubiansoaps.com retail, wholesale and naked for you to wrap and resell.

For sale: Lonesome Doe herd name with ADGA, .com, logo, Facebook page etc.... contact me for details.