Dairy Goat Info Forum > General Category > Dairy Goat Info > Wormers and Withdrawal Times

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2013, 12:52 AM   #1
MF-Alpines

Liked 258 Times on 182 Posts
Likes Given: 1000

Default Wormers and Withdrawal Times

Worming pregnant does has been a topic of conversation lately. It's usually mentioned about the long withdrawal time for Ivomec Plus and that it's not an issue if given at 100 days bred because by the time the doe kids, the withdrawal time will be over.

Cydectin has a 56 day withdrawal time and most give that the day of kidding. Is no one concerned about that withdrawal period? Or do you all follow it because the milk just goes to the kids?

I know many can't wait to have milk in their house again whether it be for milk or cheese and most just wait a week or two before consuming it. We use ours and we're not dead yet.

It just seems odd to me that there's talk about the long withdrawal period of Ivermectin products, but no mention of Cydectin and human consumption of milk.

Comments?

Cindy Plantz
Cassopolis, MI

Mulberry Farm
Alpine Dairy Goats

Old 02-15-2013, 01:05 AM   #2
swgoats

Liked 352 Times on 238 Posts
Likes Given: 486

Default Re: Wormers and Withdrawal Times

Honestly I don't worry about either, but I'm not selling milk.

Angie (Angelia Mercer)
Still Waters Farm, Central Indiana
Miniature Nubians, Nubians
www.stillwatersfarm.blogspot.comFacebook !

Old 02-15-2013, 03:20 AM   #3
Greylady

Liked 31 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 332

How late is too late to do the wormings on the pg does. With Ivomec + is the milk safe for the kids to drink? We missed the date for getting that wormer done to a couple of does....

Betty Hoffman
Lottadoe Farms
East Texas
Nubians
Facebook: Lottadoe Farms

Old 02-15-2013, 03:45 AM   #4
PrairieTrail45

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts

I don't usually do any withdrawal with cydectin, but don't start drinking my does' milk until about 5 days after they kid to let the colostrum taste get out of the milk. Sometimes I get impatient though and start drinking it a little earlier, even if it still tastes a bit off from the colostrum.

As far as I know, kids can have the milk no matter what the dam was given, even antibiotics that have a withdrawal for us are perfectly safe for the kids.

Prairie Trail Dairy Goats
http://www.prairietrailnubians.com
Beth Clappison
ADGA Alpine and Nubian Dairy Goats
Northeast Oklahoma

Goats are like potatoe chips, you can't have just one!

Old 02-15-2013, 05:40 AM   #5
Laverne

Liked 72 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 66

At the Jeffers website it says that Cydectin pour-on has a zero milk withdrawal for dairy cattle, but we give it orally to goats and goats have a faster metabolism. The Cydectin injectable says that a withdrawal hasn't been established. I am going to get that, to give orally, instead of the pour-on after I run out of it. But I dump the first milking and then 5 milkings go to the dogs.

Laverne
Portland, Oregon
City Mini Ranch. 1.63 acre in the city
LaManchas and Mini LaManchas
http://cityminiranch.weebly.com/

Old 02-15-2013, 06:00 AM   #6
todog

Liked 81 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 13

with that thought in mind, if you give the dogs the milk with the possible wormer in the milk are you worming the dogs too, and with that in mind if you use the milk for human consuption with the wormer in the milk are you worming the human? ok its late and i worked a full shift today but really is that why the withdrawl times are on the product?

Crazy Goat Lady
darlene beckstedt
Sw ohio
I am that Woman that when my feet hit the floor in the morning the devil says "OH CRAP, SHE'S UP"!!

Old 02-15-2013, 06:27 AM   #7
Laverne

Liked 72 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 66

I figure the first milk has the most residual wormer, so I dump it. It is so diluted anyway that no de-worming in dogs would occur, nor would occur in baby goats.

Laverne
Portland, Oregon
City Mini Ranch. 1.63 acre in the city
LaManchas and Mini LaManchas
http://cityminiranch.weebly.com/

Old 02-15-2013, 06:39 AM   #8
swgoats

Liked 352 Times on 238 Posts
Likes Given: 486

I don't have the exact figures of how much is passed through milk, but what I have heard is no, it is not enough to worm a human drinking milk.

Angie (Angelia Mercer)
Still Waters Farm, Central Indiana
Miniature Nubians, Nubians
www.stillwatersfarm.blogspot.comFacebook !

Old 02-15-2013, 04:16 PM   #9
NubianSoaps.com

Liked 337 Times on 195 Posts
Likes Given: 211

There are no figures. That is the first thing you have to understand with all this, dairygoats not counted on the census, is a lesser breed, there is zero real information on milk withdrawal because nobody actually does the science. If all the worms and eggs and larve are out of the goat in 12 hours, really think residuals of the wormer is around for days or weeks?

There is no actual drug in the milk, it is carrier if there is anything to even be found.

It's all guessing, the only actual test ran on a goat at the old dosage of 4cc per 100 pounds was ran by my old club on Valbazen at 48 hours there was nothing detected in the milk. We couldn't afford to run tests at 12, 24 and 36 hours so we guessed at 48 and sent those in.

Nobody has 1cc per 22 pounds of Cydectin cattle pour on given to a goat, and tested for milk withdrawal. And then comes the whole metabolism thing....my dairy goat milking 10 pounds is going to have a much shorter milk withdrawal time than a goat who milks 4 pounds.

We are for now stuck with information from cattle, research the 'research' on milk withdrawal on dairy goats, even the bibliography of Goat Medicine isn't dosages we use, routes we use, and certainly not dairy animals found in America. Vicki

Vicki McGaugh
North of Houston Texas
www.Nubiansoaps.com retail, wholesale and naked for you to wrap and resell.

For sale: Lonesome Doe herd name with ADGA, .com, logo, Facebook page etc.... contact me for details.

Old 02-17-2013, 12:44 PM   #10
MF-Alpines

Liked 258 Times on 182 Posts
Likes Given: 1000

I think you are missing my point. Especially in the happyvagabonds thread on fecal sampling/worming, again it is mentioned about giving IvomecPlus at 100 days bred to accomodate the long milk withdrawal, yet Cydectin is given on the day they kid, with a 56 day milk withdrawal, and no one bats an eye.

I just don't understand the concern over the IvomecPlus vs the Cydectin regarding milk withdrawals.

Cindy Plantz
Cassopolis, MI

Mulberry Farm
Alpine Dairy Goats