Dairy Goat Info Forum > General Category > Dairy Goat Info > What should goat milk taste like?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2011, 03:14 PM   #1
emeraldcowgirl

Default What should goat milk taste like?

I'm reading a book about keeping dairy goats and the author says that goat milk should taste exactly like cow milk. Is that true? I had a friend once tell me that goat milk has a bit of "gamey" flavor as an after taste. Nana's milk tastes...well, goaty. What should goat milk taste like? If goat milk isn't supposed to taste goaty then how can I get it tasting like cow milk? Thanks!

*~* Christina *~*
Klamath Falls, OR
Owner of Nana and her three kids (all miniature goats)

Old 06-26-2011, 03:49 PM   #2
NubianSoaps.com

Liked 334 Times on 193 Posts
Likes Given: 211

Default Re: What should goat milk taste like?

Yep...I know that most think grocery store milk is the devil, but just like making bread and trying to get it soft and gluteny like grocery store bread....there should be no difference to the mouth and tongue from grocery store milk and any raw milk. Visually you can see butterfat on the top of your cereal etc... butterfat also will glug now and then out of the milk jug...but taste? No, milk is milk.

Our 4H club also did taste tests and my daughter did a science fair project on this...it was pure guessing when someone said they knew it was nubian milk, instead of alpine or lamancha milk when blindfolded....now everyone thought the boer milk was nubian milk You can feel the butterfat thickness on your tongue. But that is shortlived as their kids age and they wean. Vicki

Vicki McGaugh
North of Houston Texas
www.Nubiansoaps.com retail, wholesale and naked for you to wrap and resell.

For sale: Lonesome Doe herd name with ADGA, .com, logo, Facebook page etc.... contact me for details.

Old 06-26-2011, 04:58 PM   #3
doublebowgoats

Liked 341 Times on 240 Posts
Likes Given: 630

I don't think it should ever be goaty or bucky or barny or bitter. To me these can (but not always) indicate illness or cleanliness problems. Like Vicki said, sometimes the fat can blob up here and there just because the milk is not mechanically homogenized, but the flavor should be "good". Sweet, pleasant, no yucky aftertaste. Sometimes it tastes like store-bought cow milk and sometimes it is much more delicious.

Michelle
Raising Lamancha Dairy goats in
Springtown,Texas

Old 06-26-2011, 05:25 PM   #4
nightskyfarm
DGI_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 12 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Having both cow and goat milk on the farm, the goat milk should be sweet and creamy when milked cleanly and chilled correctly. The cow milk as it is heavier has what I call more body to it which can be attributed to the butterfat differences. never should goat milk taste goaty or off in any way, that would indicate high bacteria coming from poor practices or an ill animal. The difference we have found with the cow milk is that when a cow is determined pregnant and still lactating, her milk becomes noticeably less sweet. I can only say that perhaps the hormones of pregnancy play a role in that. Having only one cow, you did taste a difference. I am not sure if the goat would be similar.

Jennifer Downey - The farmer puts in a long day, but the cheese-maker's day is endless.

Grade A Dairy & Cheese Room. I raise Reg. Alpine, Saanen, Nubian and La Mancha dairy goats, as well as assorted poultry (chickens and Heritage turkey), peafowl, 4 equines and of course 3 children! And 2 loverly Jersey cows, Emily & Annabelle Clover due in May.

www.nightskyfarm.com
www.nightskyfarm.wordpress.com
www.artfire.com/modules.php?name=Shop&seller

Old 06-26-2011, 05:32 PM   #5
Ashley

Liked 149 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 91

A brave newcomer in our church gave goat milk a try for the first time yesterday. After taking a sip he said "Hey, it tastes like milk!" lol That said I can for sure taste a difference between cow and goat but most don't.

Located in the Ozarks of Arkansas
Raising Nubian Dairy goats with one lamancha... and one very spoiled Togg.

Currently have 2 nubian buck kids available! Check them out at: For Sale Page

Layton Hollow Nubians

ashley@naturespets.com

Pro 12:10  A righteous man regardeth the life of his beast ...

Old 06-26-2011, 05:51 PM   #6
lonestrchic23

Liked 45 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 105

My brother SWEARS he hates goat's milk, due to a taste of goaty milk that was the result of unsavory milking & handling procedures at a farm he visited in HS.

He typically drinks store bought, whole cows milk. Stayed with me for a week, unknowingly drank goat's milk the entire time....made comments on how great the brand of milk I was buying was (I put goat milk in a plastic jug I got from work, looks like a gallon jug from the store).

At the end of the week I told him he'd been drinking goat's milk his entire stay

It should not taste goaty..... I've only had goaty milk when I didn't sterilize properly.... I now use a 3 step sanitizing system from Hoeggers & haven't had goaty milk since....

Best Wishes,
Crystal
http://noodlevilleadventures.blogspot.com
Lamanchas, a few Nubians & a lone Alpine
Recently relocated near Canton, Texas

Keep up with the Noodleville Goats on Facebook!
https://www.facebook.com/NoodlevilleFarm

Old 06-26-2011, 06:32 PM   #7
sarafina

The only goat's milk I have tasted is Vickie's and it is absolutely DELICIOUS! Rich and creamy and no "goaty" or gamey taste at all.

Sarah

Friendswood, TX
moving in a few years to Evening Shade, AR to raise dairy goats

Old 06-26-2011, 07:24 PM   #8
Oat Bucket Farm

Send a message via AIM to Oat Bucket Farm Send a message via Yahoo to Oat Bucket Farm

All of our goat milk always tasted wonderful. We had one doe that would have a goaty after taste to her milk when she was at the height of her heat cycle. It only lasted for a day or two and always went back to delicious and wonderful afterward.

Audra
Central Kansas
LaManchas
Embers at Galdrilene

Old 06-26-2011, 07:45 PM   #9
nightskyfarm
DGI_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 12 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Audra, that would give a little credence to the hormonal influences, though I think family lines may play a role as well.

Jennifer Downey - The farmer puts in a long day, but the cheese-maker's day is endless.

Grade A Dairy & Cheese Room. I raise Reg. Alpine, Saanen, Nubian and La Mancha dairy goats, as well as assorted poultry (chickens and Heritage turkey), peafowl, 4 equines and of course 3 children! And 2 loverly Jersey cows, Emily & Annabelle Clover due in May.

www.nightskyfarm.com
www.nightskyfarm.wordpress.com
www.artfire.com/modules.php?name=Shop&seller

Old 06-26-2011, 08:06 PM   #10
Tim Pruitt

Liked 153 Times on 69 Posts

Goat milk is usually consumed raw around our farm. You must be very clean with goat milk as bacteria will break down the milk releasing that "goaty" taste into the milk. Our milk will usually last 2 weeks before tasting "goaty".

There is a difference between cows and goat milk but most won't taste the difference. One fall as our goats were drying up, someone needed our milk for a baby. I put whole cows milk (from the store) into a glass jar and took it into the house. The next morning, my wife had the cows milk in her cereal. She immediately said, "Tim! There is something wrong with the goats! This milk taste awful." Then after the next bite she said, "This is cows milk isn't it?"

So you can taste the difference and most people that I have challenged in a blind taste test preferred the goat milk over cows milk.

Tim Pruitt
701 Pruittville Dr.
Haynesville, LA 71038
timdpruitt@gmail.com
http://www.pruittvillefarms.com
Like us on FaceBook!
See our Promo Video for our farm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8p5EZx24qoc