Dairy Goat Info Forum > General Category > Dairy Goat Info > What is the friendliest dairy goat breed?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2010, 10:04 PM   #1
Dana

Default What is the friendliest dairy goat breed?

I've had a few different goats in my short 3 year career of goat herding and I want to know what you all (with much more experience and many more goats of the same breed) think.

Who is the friendliest?

My vote is Lamanchas. But maybe it's just because the ones I have just happen to be friendly.

Dana
Registered Nigerians and Lamanchas
Southern Michigan

http://triplecrossfarms.weebly.com

Old 04-01-2010, 10:26 PM   #2
Sondra

Liked 19 Times on 19 Posts

Default Re: What is the friendliest dairy goat breed?

Well the LaMancha's are defienately friendly however after having ND/LaMancha/Mini LaMancha/ Nubian and Alpine I have to say that each and everyone of them were friendly /loving and had to have hugs and kisses. Each have their own personalities and thus you get to love on one or two more than the rest But the goats didn't care.
Danish Pastry (Nubian) now at Jana's was probably one of my friendliest but a pain in the butt because she wanted me right beside her all the time and was a loud mouth here. Arial my LaMancha now at Michelle's never forgets that she is herd queen and supposed to get all the loving and head scratches even now she loves me but my truely favorite is Alexandria (Albuquerque) a Mini LaMancha and even tho she didn't run up to get scratches etc she is tops. The Alpine was very friendly but a bitch to all the other goats.

Sondra Peterson
A2Z Dairy Goats
Nubian/LaMancha/Mini Mancha
Azle, TX
a2zdairygoats@yahoo.com
www.freewebs.com/mldga

Old 04-01-2010, 10:56 PM   #3
NubianSoaps.com

Liked 337 Times on 195 Posts
Likes Given: 211

Hands down our old goats. Be it Lamancha or Nubian, once up around 8 they know you, you know them, and you have this weird kind of relationship with them that you don't have with your dogs or cats or younger goatlings. So for me it's not a breed.

Vicki

Vicki McGaugh
North of Houston Texas
www.Nubiansoaps.com retail, wholesale and naked for you to wrap and resell.

For sale: Lonesome Doe herd name with ADGA, .com, logo, Facebook page etc.... contact me for details.

Old 04-02-2010, 12:40 AM   #4
Fiesty1958

Send a message via AIM to Fiesty1958 Send a message via Yahoo to Fiesty1958

I'm new to goats but I'm partial to my first and oldest goat Nellie. Nellie is also queen of the herd but doesn't push her weight around. I've been know to crawl on all fours through the hay meadow to sneak up on them in the fields and she is the first to see me, rush to me and proceed to lick me to death all 125 lbs of her. Nellie was the reason why I got into goats. Nellie is a beautiful Nubian and she is going to be 8 years this year and she will live the rest of her life with us. I've heard that Nubians can be quite noisy. Well we have the market cornered on that idea in a bundle of fire name Miss Kitty (Nellie's daughter from last year). Miss Kitty will not stop until you come and give her a hug, kiss and head scratch and hopefully some corn or other treat. I also have an Alpine doe name Lucy and she is quite bitchy towards all other goats including her own daughters from last year, she's out for herself and her current brood. Lucy on occasion has attempted to boss me around - didn't work. Her daughters from last year were stand-offish but are slowly coming around now that they are mothers - they are relaxing more. But I agree with Sondra and Vicki they all have their lovable personalities and are willing to share themselves with us especially as they age. I just love my girls and boys. Sheryl

Sheryl Corey
Nubians, Nubian/boer crosses and Spanish crosses
Belington, WV

Old 04-02-2010, 12:49 AM   #5
Ozark Lady

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 6

They all are! I have had Nubians (my first goats), La Manchas, Oberhasli, Alpine, Saanen, Pygmy, Toggenburgs, and in each family, there was at least one animal that stood out as: the friendliest goat in the world!

MaryAnn
N.W. Arkansas

LaMancha goats, chickens, ducks, geese, Great Pyrenees, angora rabbits, honeybees, and lovebirds.
Interested in cheese, soap, gardening, and spinning fiber into thread.

Old 04-02-2010, 01:27 AM   #6
adillenal

Liked 27 Times on 19 Posts

Pretty much any kind that was raised on a bottle. At least they are friendly when you are trying to do something that requires not being chewed on or rubbed on by a goat.

LaNell
LaManchas
Giddings, Texas
www.whiteoakbend.com

Old 04-02-2010, 01:41 AM   #7
catdance62

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

That is a hard question. I have mostly Nubians, but my LaMancha herd queen is the friendliest one. Actually, she is the most over-bearing one. She wants me all to herself!!! Unfortunately, that is not a good trait in a mother. She wont let her kids play with the other kids. She doesn't like us to hold them (she tries to nudge my hand/arm away when the babies are in my lap), she attacks any other goat that comes near the, As a result her kids are just about as wild as March hares and aren't integrated with the herd at all. No mattet, the buckling is destined for the freezer, and the doeling will be sold because she is a cross-breed (we have a Nubian buck). We have a French Alpine with a great personality and she is a wonderful mother. Her kids are as friendly as can be. (too friendly?). I relaly think it depends on the goat and how it was brought up.

Sandy Azancot
Circle A Farm
High quality dairy hybrids and a couple Nubians. Plus a bunch of wild sheep!
Texarkana, Arkansas
knowledge = power

Old 04-02-2010, 01:44 AM   #8
goatkid

Liked 112 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I think it depends more on the personality of the goat rather than the breed. Having worked at a goat dairy when I first got to know goats, I got to meet all breeds of dairy goats as well as Boers. Bottle raised ones are generally the easiest to work with.

Kathie
Zirngibl Dairy Goats
Nubians and Recorded Grades

Old 04-02-2010, 04:16 AM   #9
Caprine Beings

Liked 193 Times on 118 Posts
Likes Given: 173

I have to agree with all of the above. We had a nine yr old doe, just the sweetest mellowest nubian ever. Alpines are my personal favorite but even some of them are not the friendliest around. Nubians can be toad faces just as much as the next breed, go ask Ruggie . She can be quite the premadonna emotional goat you normally see in alpines over her humans! Tam

Lindsey and Tammy Long
Alpines, Nigerian Dwarf, and Nubians
E-mail: caprinebeings@live.com
Facebook page: Caprine Beings Dairy Goats
http://caprinebeingsdairygoat.webs.com/
South Eastern Washington

You will turn over many a futile new leaf till you learn we must all write on scratched-out pages. ~Mignon McLaughlin, The Neurotic's Notebook, 1960

Old 04-02-2010, 09:52 AM   #10
Bernice

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Send a message via Yahoo to Bernice

I think the Oberhaslis, they tend to have sweeter personalities, but that's usually before my mean ole' Alpines break them in! But like eyeryone that has commented, I think too, any breed.

Bernice
Medway, Maine
French Alpines
A peaceful hippie in a disgruntled world! 
"Pardon me, but your goats have more manners!"