Dairy Goat Info Forum > General Category > Dairy Goat Info > veterinarian prescribed medications

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2012, 06:41 PM   #1
happy vagabonds

Liked 40 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 120

Default veterinarian prescribed medications

from what i am reading on various forums, i gather that many of you have veterinarian prescribed meds on hand at all times, ie: Banamine and BoSe are 2 that come immediately to mind. Epipen is another. Oxytocin? Lutalyse?

how do you get these prescriptions to have on hand?

are there others i should know about and try to acquire?

Frankie in Upstate South Carolina.
Working to establish a Grade A Dairy with Purebred Alpines.
http://www.facebook.com/happyvagabonds

Lots of baby pictures up now on my Flickr account!

Old 07-22-2012, 07:55 PM   #2
goatkid

Liked 112 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default Re: veterinarian prescribed medications

I also recommend a RX antibiotic such as Nuflor or Excenel. The way to get these meds is to establish a relationship with a local vet. A good way to do that is to find a vet who does both livestock and pets. Use him/her for dog and cat vaccinations, blood testing your goats, sick animals etc. I know my vet would rather give me bottles of stuff than have to come into the office after hours for something I can treat at home.

Kathie
Zirngibl Dairy Goats
Nubians and Recorded Grades

Old 07-22-2012, 09:20 PM   #3
MF-Alpines

Liked 258 Times on 182 Posts
Likes Given: 1000

What Kathy said.

If you develop that relationship with your vet, it builds trust. After my first year with goats (and having nothing except BoSe for scripts), the next year I went in with a list and he gave me everything I wanted, no questions asked. That way, if I have a problem, I just call him up, he asks what I have, and then he tells me the dosage(s) and for how long.

Then I come to the forum to check to ensure his dosage and length of time given is correct.

Cindy Plantz
Cassopolis, MI

Mulberry Farm
Alpine Dairy Goats

Old 07-22-2012, 09:29 PM   #4
dragonlair

Liked 155 Times on 97 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I get most of my RX stuff from my small animal vet, who is semi retired and sick of other local vets charging an arm and leg for treatment. I ask him for meds and he orders them for me. Not sure what I am going to do when he fully retires here, soon.

I do have Epi I got from him for the animals, but I also have EpiPens for myself I can use on the critters. I also call my doc and tell her I have "such and such" (which I don't but my animals do). She gives me a generic script which I in turn use on the animals.

Sully
DragonLair Farm in Central Maine. Nubian, Lamancha and Oberhasli dairy goats, 3 horses, 10 dogs, 2 cats, 5 Guinea fowl and not sure how many chickens.

Old 07-22-2012, 09:35 PM   #5
MF-Alpines

Liked 258 Times on 182 Posts
Likes Given: 1000

Wanted to add, there is a list of meds to have on hand in GK101.

Cindy Plantz
Cassopolis, MI

Mulberry Farm
Alpine Dairy Goats

Old 07-22-2012, 10:52 PM   #6
NubianSoaps.com

Liked 337 Times on 195 Posts
Likes Given: 211

I was lucky I was introduced to my vet via two other large breeders, my vet was new and just out of vet school (27 years ago). I had her out to my then, very commercial farm, so she could get a feel of my needs. I was brokering goats and at times could have nearly 100 does, then 4 months later 36 that we milked most of the time. I wanted her to see that I was a business and not a pet person. Even when I didn't need her for anything more than health certificates or drugs, I would pay for a visit each spring to pick her brain about problems I was having. She helped me test through my copper problems, my ketosis problems etc. She also learned my limitations and my strengths, so she could trust me to make good diagnosis of my own stock, and I was the one accepting responsiblity when I guessed wrong.

So find a vet you like, and use them. Vicki

Vicki McGaugh
North of Houston Texas
www.Nubiansoaps.com retail, wholesale and naked for you to wrap and resell.

For sale: Lonesome Doe herd name with ADGA, .com, logo, Facebook page etc.... contact me for details.