Dairy Goat Info Forum > General Category > Dairy Goat Info > Uneven udders

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2009, 04:01 PM   #1
Sondra

Liked 19 Times on 19 Posts

Default Uneven udders

OK goat has very uneven udder but has had this now for the 3 year. 1st year I had her a buckling was left on. last year was worried and sent in mik samples no staff, but did teat infussions with tomorrow and gent and dry treated with the same. This year freshening still uneven udder which actually appears rather twisted. She milked 8lb + usually 10lb but I went to once a day milking in July. so of course production went down. I did not have her tested this year as the milk always tasted fine.
Now she was probably milking maybe 4 until the last couple of weeks when with all our rain straight for 11 days she and everyone else's production went down.
OK I sold this doe among other last Friday. Got a call and this particular doe is not filling up on the small side since the move. So told the lady to have her tested again
Am wondering if just the move and the fact that she was already slacking off if she is just drying up or if this is a case of mastitis that I missed?

What are your thoughts on this?

Sondra Peterson
A2Z Dairy Goats
Nubian/LaMancha/Mini Mancha
Azle, TX
a2zdairygoats@yahoo.com
www.freewebs.com/mldga

Old 10-21-2009, 09:15 PM   #2
stoneyheightsfarm

Default Re: Uneven udders

Well Sondra, you know old pro at this that I am.... lol! I'm guessing the stress of the move is making her dry off. I sent in samples on everyone here when the Alpines arrived because I was worried that one of the girls got mastitis en route b/c one side was just about dried off and after talking to several transporters, I knew that was a possibility with a move (both getting mastitis and drying off). Despite the shipping snaffoo, LSU got them the next day (though I didn't find out until the following week!) and the samples were fine and she didn't have mastitis. I'm still milking her, just not getting too much, particularly out of the one side.

While the shipping is pricey, I wouldn't discourage her from sending in samples for testing. Always nice to know for sure.

Billie Hallman
Stoney Heights Farm
Nubians (again!) in Northern Middle Tennessee
http://stoneyheightsfarm.webs.com/

Old 10-21-2009, 09:40 PM   #3
Sondra

Liked 19 Times on 19 Posts

Well that is what I told the lady to do but sure makes me feel bad.

Sondra Peterson
A2Z Dairy Goats
Nubian/LaMancha/Mini Mancha
Azle, TX
a2zdairygoats@yahoo.com
www.freewebs.com/mldga

Old 10-21-2009, 10:04 PM   #4
stoneyheightsfarm

I know. I feel bad that the Nubians I sold are not being kind to their new owners on the milkstand. Thankfully, they've done goats before and understand that moving is a major adjustment.

Billie Hallman
Stoney Heights Farm
Nubians (again!) in Northern Middle Tennessee
http://stoneyheightsfarm.webs.com/

Old 10-24-2009, 06:40 AM   #5
LaManchaPaul

Send a message via MSN to LaManchaPaul

Moving a doe in milk made her almost stop milking. This happened to me with two new does (Saanen)this year. As well, bringing them on the farm, my only doe (LaMancha) that I was milking now has dried after my attemps to bring her back by milking three times a day.

The LaMancha is a ff and when the buckling was born I made sure that the plugs were out and he was eating. I only checked his little tummy and not her udder. Well, the little stinker only ate on her left side. The right side teat became large and so nice while the other was much smaller. On day three I made him drink from the large teat. He didn't like it too much but did. I sold him at 2 weeks and milked the mom. Her r teat remained a good size and the l remained small.

When she freshens again in Jan. I plan to not let the kid use the left side and see if it will level out.

Has anyone heard of trying this, well or even if the non-use of th r made it large.

Paul

LaCabra Farm
LaMancha, the barnyard clowns!
Paul Bridges - Uvalda, GA

Old 10-24-2009, 06:47 AM   #6
NubianSoaps.com

Liked 339 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 211

What you will have to do Paul is let the small side strutt out like what happened to the large side. The small side the kid kept nursed down all the time, the full size expanded the udder and teat size to try to hold all the milk. From now on keep both sides milked out, this forces the kids because of hunger to try both teats several times a day to make them make more milk to drink. So you will have even teats. Vicki

Vicki McGaugh
North of Houston Texas
www.Nubiansoaps.com retail, wholesale and naked for you to wrap and resell.

For sale: Lonesome Doe herd name with ADGA, .com, logo, Facebook page etc.... contact me for details.