Dairy Goat Info Forum > General Category > Dairy Goat Info > trimming horns on buck

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2010, 03:04 AM   #1
scgirl

Default trimming horns on buck

The horns on my buck are getting really long and one is almost touching right above his eye, so I need to trim the horns. I've looked at all the previous post I can find and am still not real sure what I need to do it. These are not scurs, they are his horns--they're flat, almost triangular, but not round. It looks to me like thay have been trimmed before. He will be 2 yrs in May and I've had him 5 mos. My dad wants to trim them with some pruning shears--will this work? Do we need to use a saw instead, and if so, what kind? If I understand everything I've read, I can cut about an inch off each horn. Should I have some blood stop powder handy? Anything else I'm missing?
Thanks, Amber

Amber
Tenino, WA
kiko/nubian, nubian--so far

Old 02-22-2010, 04:55 AM   #2
Natural Beauty Farm

Liked 6 Times on 2 Posts

Default Re: trimming horns on buck

Wire saw, blood stop powder.

Talk to vet though, some will do the deed permanently for a good price, well worth it when you are dealing with a buck in my book.

Trey and the rest of the crew raising Nubians with ears so big a strong wind might just send them into the air over VA.
Home of TWO 2010 TOP TEN Milkers

http://www.flyingfarmnubians.com

Old 02-22-2010, 01:18 PM   #3
Rambar Ranch

We've used a tree pruner and also wire saw on trimming our bucks scurs. It really depends on if you can get the pruning shears under them. Our pruning shears were those big branch loppers not the hand held ones, I don't believe you would get enough leverage to clip horns with the hand held ones. The closer you get to the head when you trim though the more blood you'll get. They bleed very profusely from the head from taking them off so don't be to worried about it.

Weimar, TX
Raising Saanens and Sables

Old 02-22-2010, 03:20 PM   #4
scgirl

Thanks for the replies. I think we'll try to trim them, then I can contact some vets in the area. There's supposed to be a good goat vet close, so I'll find out for sure and contact him. I, too, was sondering about the trimmers fitting under the horn but my dad thinks they'll work, and they are not the hand held, I knew they wouldn't work.
Thanks again, Amber

Amber
Tenino, WA
kiko/nubian, nubian--so far

Old 02-22-2010, 05:27 PM   #5
BrokenHalterFarm

Weird.. I've never seen a buck or any goats horns curl towards the eye..

I know they make wire tensioners for sheep to pull the horn back away from the eye ,I'm not good with sheep breeds , but there are quite a few that the horns curl in and get dangersously close to the eye. They stick these tensioners around one side and then attach it to the tip so the horn can start being trained to grow in another direction.

Andrew Hyle
Every type of goat is welcome here at the rescue.

"The difference between winners and losers is that winners find a way to reach their goal regardless of what it takes."
"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and consciencious stupidity." MLK