Dairy Goat Info Forum > General Category > Dairy Goat Info > too late to disbud - what now?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2010, 05:40 PM   #1
lorit

Liked 35 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Default too late to disbud - what now?

I have a little buckling that due to circumstances (trying to figure out if he was a keeper) is now 5 weeks old and I didn't disbud. I am going to keep him and want to know my best options. The banding seems to get mixed results and reviews. If I could find a vet who does the surgery properly and for a decent price, is it better to do it soon while he is younger - or wait til he is a certain age/weight/size? He is over 30#s at this point and is being dam raised similar to how Tim Pruit lays it out in his article over in goatkeeping 101.

Thanx for the advice. :-)

I love my Alpines . . . and what is turning into quite the little farm: Tamworth hogs, Silver Fox rabbits, steers, chickens, ducks, turkeys, cats and dog
find and like us on facebook @ Rendezvous Acres

Old 06-21-2010, 06:20 PM   #2
IXEL

Default Re: too late to disbud - what now?

I would say either way. I like banding the horns if they are old enough and if I am short on money. Although I like to have them surgically done too, I think it is much easier on them, especially if you have banimine on hand. So I would say which ever way is easier for you.

IXEL Farms Boer Goats and Meat Rabbits.
By: Alexis Land (aka the boer goat gal)
My best friends are Lindsy and Tammy Long!
I can't wait to go show with them.
My goal is to make the best better and to get Tammy as much coffee as she needs! lol

If you enter this world knowing you are loved and you leave knowing the same, then everything in the middle can be delt with.
                          -Michael Jackson

Old 06-21-2010, 10:46 PM   #3
Sondra

Liked 19 Times on 19 Posts

banding worked very well for me on two little does last year and no scurs Also depending on his horns you could probably use a calf disbudder I know they have then at TSC or Jeffers and will probably be what a vet has too.

Sondra Peterson
A2Z Dairy Goats
Nubian/LaMancha/Mini Mancha
Azle, TX
a2zdairygoats@yahoo.com
www.freewebs.com/mldga

Old 06-21-2010, 10:51 PM   #4
prairie nights

I used a disbudding iron with a large tip on an older buckling. Wasn't pretty and had to be done one layer at a time but it got done, he did not grow scurs any worse than the other bucklings disbudded at proper time. Not bad, just the usual small scurs the bucks all seem to grow. No scurs on my doelings with the same technique/time frame .

Jana

Jana
raising purebred Nubians in Oklahoma
www.oldpathshomestead.com

Old 06-21-2010, 10:53 PM   #5
Caprine Beings

Liked 193 Times on 118 Posts
Likes Given: 173

Is this little guy a swiss breed? If you do go with surgical ask them to do a figure 8 burn as well. We have had some problems with scurs after disbudding and have finally gone to the figure 8. It is in DGI 101 and you can print out the pictures for any vet to look at. I am sorry we haven't tried this before and could have saved some money. The original person who posted this has been doing it and has not had the scurring either. Either way you decide will work. Tam

Lindsey and Tammy Long
Alpines, Nigerian Dwarf, and Nubians
E-mail: caprinebeings@live.com
Facebook page: Caprine Beings Dairy Goats
http://caprinebeingsdairygoat.webs.com/
South Eastern Washington

You will turn over many a futile new leaf till you learn we must all write on scratched-out pages. ~Mignon McLaughlin, The Neurotic's Notebook, 1960

Old 06-21-2010, 11:14 PM   #6
NubianSoaps.com

Liked 335 Times on 194 Posts
Likes Given: 211

I would wait and have them surgically removed this fall when fly season is over. It's quick and easy and you get a perfect head. Vicki

Vicki McGaugh
North of Houston Texas
www.Nubiansoaps.com retail, wholesale and naked for you to wrap and resell.

For sale: Lonesome Doe herd name with ADGA, .com, logo, Facebook page etc.... contact me for details.

Old 06-22-2010, 02:31 PM   #7
Jen1204ca

Send a message via Yahoo to Jen1204ca

Do you not have to wait until the horns have stopped growing to band them? It is my understanding that if you band them at a young age they will still continue to grow. True?

Jenny Thompson
Ituna, SK, Canada
Alpines & Nubians
48 laying hens, 60 week old meat birds, 2 potbellied pigs and 1 crazy Irish Wolfhound/Great Dane cross. 
2 sons ages 2 and 8.

Old 06-22-2010, 02:54 PM   #8
stoneyheightsfarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicki McGaugh Tx Nubians
I would wait and have them surgically removed this fall when fly season is over.

When you do Swiss breeds, here is a more aggressive photo of how the figure 8 is done than in the 101 file. This is all the way down to the bone, done at 4 days. The scabs have recently fallen off, and there is a minute amount of horn material growing, which looks as if it will be a flat tiny scur. Swiss breeds are definitely tougher! Poor guy, for a while there, it looked as if I had removed the entire top off his head!

[attachment deleted by admin]

Billie Hallman
Stoney Heights Farm
Nubians (again!) in Northern Middle Tennessee
http://stoneyheightsfarm.webs.com/

Old 06-22-2010, 03:48 PM   #9
favablue

We band them with great results every time. It is best to get someone to show you first.

If you feel like spending the money and know someone that knows how to surgically remove them go ahead. We have asked around here and everyone runs away from removing goats horns at any age.

Either way ,like Vicki said, wait until fly season if over. We like to do it in the fall after a good cold snap.

Either way is good.

Kandace, Near San Antonio, Tx
LaMancha - LaMancha/Nubian -Mini LaMancha

Old 06-22-2010, 09:25 PM   #10
lorit

Liked 35 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Well, I talked to four vets and the general consensus was that younger was better than waiting cuz that will avoid the sinus cavity. They all say that the suturing is not necessary if you don't go into the sinuses. They will do it at a higher cost and consider it cosmetic. Here in the cooler northwest they don't think flies will be a big deal - we are still consistently in the 60's - just starting to push 70's.

The vets charge about double what the vet hospital at Oregon State U does. And don't seem to do as much of it so I am thinking both cuz of $ and experience that the OSU hospital will be the way to go. I am scheduled to take him in on the 8th of July. I'll let everyone know if it is a good experience or not - that way you Oregon folks can know about decent alternatives. They are charging $45-50 for everything (office visit, anesthesia, dehorning) which seems reasonable to me. And if I opt for the cosmetic surgery it is only a bit more and he'll look pretty. :-)

Anything I am missing - or advice given that was inaccurate? To tell the truth I am sort of glad it worked out this way - I don't like the rough heads of disbudded goats.

I love my Alpines . . . and what is turning into quite the little farm: Tamworth hogs, Silver Fox rabbits, steers, chickens, ducks, turkeys, cats and dog
find and like us on facebook @ Rendezvous Acres