Dairy Goat Info Forum > General Category > Dairy Goat Info > thinking about breeding some mini mancha's

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2010, 02:54 PM   #1
Robynlynn

Default thinking about breeding some mini mancha's

Well, been looking at Y'all's web-sights and thinking I should maybe try to breed some mini Mancha's.
I have a registered Lamancha buck who's sire is south-fork BA white Knight. The nigerians I aquired this summer they are registered but not knowing much about them as a breed My guess is that they are on the large side~I had a nigerian breeder stop by and this was her comment~they looked nice but a little large.
Anyway, suggestions on how to begin and anything I should know about whether or not this buck would be the right choice? his ADGA # is L1505728..........
Looking forward to your replys.....

Old 09-19-2010, 06:19 PM   #2
doublebowgoats

Liked 347 Times on 246 Posts
Likes Given: 650

Default Re: thinking about breeding some mini mancha's

Well, I love my minis. They make great productive animals so i'm glad to see your interest!
Sounds like nice blood lines but starting with a full size buck over your Nigerians could be problematic. Although I have done it without problems. My Nig doe was also on the big side and had previously freshened. Be sure and look through the threads in this section since there is lots of info.

Michelle
Raising Lamancha Dairy goats in
Springtown,Texas

Old 09-20-2010, 01:22 PM   #3
Robynlynn

weel my buck not quit 1 yr old so that will not be a problem. this is just a thought that came to me when I checked our vicki's web-sight. I like to lease my does to 4-Hers in the spring and the mini mancha's seem like a nice size and easier to mil that the nigerians. I could do the PG600 before breeding so as to have more and smaller kids as vickie suggested in a link I read although I do believe that was a 3rd generation.
HMMM now I am puzzled on what to do. I already have my lamancha's breed for this year. I do have one who will be 1yr old in February so I could wait until then and try and breed her to the nigerian. maybe that would be better for a yearling kidding anyway?
Suggestions? Should I not breed these nigerians does(all over 2 yrs) to my young lamancha buck

Old 09-20-2010, 01:44 PM   #4
doublebowgoats

Liked 347 Times on 246 Posts
Likes Given: 650

When I said that breeding the LM buck to the nig does could be problematic, I was not referring to the breeding itself but the possibility of kids too large for the dam to give birth. If I were in your shoes I would wait and breed your Lamancha doe to the Nigerian buck, just in case there might be a problem with big kids. My smallest MM kid born last spring was six pounds and my largest was over seven. So they can be pretty hefty.

Michelle
Raising Lamancha Dairy goats in
Springtown,Texas

Old 09-21-2010, 09:56 PM   #5
Daniel Babcock

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Great advice Michelle. Last fall there were a number of Mini Mancha breeders who had 50% MM's that they bred to standard LaMancha bucks, most had little problems with kidding but there has been quite some discussion about kid size with this breeding. I know 3 breeders in my area who have lost 50% MM does during kidding due to stalled labors and kid size. Having said this even though your Nigerians are on the Large size, I would certainly not breed a Standard LaMancha buck to a Nigerian doe.

You may be a year behind where you want to be in breeding your MM line, but hopefully you have bred well and you will have a closer linebred LaMancha line that you can now out cross with a Nigerian buck or a lower percentage MM buck.

These are great animals, you won't regret having bred them!

Daniel Babcock
LaMancha Dairy Goats
www.sweetdeseret.com
Ogden, Utah

Old 09-22-2010, 03:56 PM   #6
Feral Nature

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Also, with Minis, how big are your hands? There was a discussion on here regarding the fact that if you could put your hand/wrist through a chain link fence, then you could put your hand into a MiniMancha pelvis to help deliver a stuck or malpositioned kid. Don't know what ever became of that discussion. My hands are a bit large as I am an amazon womam with lumberjack hands. But I did breed my Minimancha, the older doe I have, to a full sized LM and she kidded just fine. She was a third freshener. I will breed her again this year to the same LM buck.

Diane Rhodes
Herd was dispersed in 2011
Lexington, Texas
Feral Nature Farm on Facebook!

Old 09-23-2010, 05:36 AM   #7
NubianSoaps.com

Liked 335 Times on 194 Posts
Likes Given: 211

I would want to know what size kids my LaMancha buck is having in full sized does, before breeding them to mini's or ND does. I asked the owner who had used him before and also knew the breeder. There are bloodlines of Lamancha's known for scarry big kids. V

Vicki McGaugh
North of Houston Texas
www.Nubiansoaps.com retail, wholesale and naked for you to wrap and resell.

For sale: Lonesome Doe herd name with ADGA, .com, logo, Facebook page etc.... contact me for details.