Dairy Goat Info Forum > General Category > Dairy Goat Info > Spent Grain

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2008, 05:00 PM   #1
tmfinley

Liked 20 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default Spent Grain

Anyone here feed spent grain? We are going to start to get a weekly supply. Most of it will go to the pigs and chickens but I think I will have plenty left for goats also. I'm not really sure how much or what it can replace in the feed. I have one FF in milk, and 2 dry yearlings and will soon have another doe in milk. I feed Alfalfa pellets in the barn and Oats on the milkstand. They also have fairly good browse, though it is dwindling some. I have read the grain has anywhere from 26-30% protein in it. Any thoughts?

Tiffany

Tiffany Finley
Slapdash Farm
Elgin, Texas
www.my-goat-milk-soap.com
Alpines, Pigs, and Great Pyrs

Old 09-25-2008, 08:30 PM   #2
NubianSoaps.com

Liked 337 Times on 195 Posts
Likes Given: 211

Default Re: Spent Grain

For grain to have that kind of protein it has to have soy, cottonseed meal or other high protein feed in it. Oats, barley, corn, maize, most seeds etc. are low in protein.

It's fine to do stuff like this, but do you know what the ingredients are? Is it consistant each time you pick it up? Is it dry? Moisture that cuases mold in our humidity will cause listerosis eventually.

I have no idea what spent grain is, but make sure you do. Vicki

Vicki McGaugh
North of Houston Texas
www.Nubiansoaps.com retail, wholesale and naked for you to wrap and resell.

For sale: Lonesome Doe herd name with ADGA, .com, logo, Facebook page etc.... contact me for details.

Old 09-25-2008, 08:31 PM   #3
LMonty

Tiffany, I have no experience with it myself, but I'll pass on some "hearsay" Ive picked up from other folks that have used it. Apparently theres a concern with possibility of mold, mildew or even bacterial contamination after its been used. I think that each supply probalby needs to be checked, and it might depend on how its handled after use- if its dried right away, or just piled up to ferment some more after use. What it can replace and what percentage of boughten grains you can substitute it for depends on the nutiritonal value of the spent grains. You might be able to contact your ag agent for a lab that would be able to analyze it and give you the info you need? HTH- but anyone here with actual experience with it would give you much better advice than my FOAF info, I'm sure.

Laura
Evermore Farms, Everton, AR
Nubians and more

Old 09-25-2008, 08:45 PM   #4
Sondra

Liked 19 Times on 19 Posts

It all depends on what it was used for in the beginning. some is brewers yeast by products some is bakery but most is the hulls and what the sugar and processing doesn't break down. My guess is most is high in sugar content and not something I would want to use for goats. Chickens and pigs maybe fine.

Sondra Peterson
A2Z Dairy Goats
Nubian/LaMancha/Mini Mancha
Azle, TX
a2zdairygoats@yahoo.com
www.freewebs.com/mldga

Old 09-25-2008, 10:34 PM   #5
tmfinley

Liked 20 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Actually from what I've read it has almost no sugar and carbohydrates in it, but is very high in fiber and protein. The brewing process sucks all of the carbs out and leaves concentrated protein. I think Vicki is right in my needing to know exactly what is in it. It is mainly barley though. We will pick it up within hours of its being brewed. I don't think I will have a problem with mold, mildew, etc. I will start with the pigs and chickens and see how it goes from there.

Tiffany

Tiffany Finley
Slapdash Farm
Elgin, Texas
www.my-goat-milk-soap.com
Alpines, Pigs, and Great Pyrs

Old 09-26-2008, 01:55 PM   #6
Ashley

Liked 160 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 100

I think I remember someone saying it was hard on goats teeth, I could be wrong, but something to check out.

Located in the Ozarks of Arkansas
Raising Nubian Dairy goats with one lamancha... and one very spoiled Togg.

Currently have 2 nubian buck kids available! Check them out at: For Sale Page

Layton Hollow Nubians

ashley@naturespets.com

Pro 12:10  A righteous man regardeth the life of his beast ...